Skip to main content

Sign Your Life Away

I don't know what can be more volatile than dealing with a Power of Attorney; durable, general, or limited. It feels as if I'm signing away my rights, as well as my power; to sell my car, to sell my portion of property, to even have a say in how I am treated prior to and after my death.   My husband and I are wrestling with that question now. He asks, "What's the big deal? It's so simple."  While my brain screams, "How can you not get this?  And how can you be so callous?!"

ALS is robbing me of physical control. This feels like my last bastion of control and the "what ifs" abound.    What if you decide you don't love me anymore? What if you get sick of all this stuff and leave? What if you fall in love again and I'm still alive and physically incapacitated?   What if two years down the road, (I am unable to have sex or you're not inclined to have sex with me), and you have a dalliance with either a caregiver or a stranger? What is my recourse?

This issue was dropped on my doorstep today, upon my return from water aerobics class. My husband had gone to sell my car and sign over title when he learned that he needed my signature. (I had already told him this.)  He whipped the issue up, stating that he'd need my power of attorney to sell the car and when he was ready to sell pieces of property and eventually when he'd have to make end of life decisions for me. Suddenly, he is all "Gung Ho" to hire an attorney at $180 per hour, to draw up these critical documents on our behalf.  Yeah, this is the same guy who balks at spending $40.00 on our marriage counselor.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Creep

  Have you ever used the internet to look up an old flame? How about an old arch-enemy? Did you have the intention to reconnect? Me neither.

I Remember...

I remember catching fireflies,  putting them in a jar, as a girl of five. I picked pears off a tree that overhung an alleyway on my route home from school, then enjoyed the forbidden fruit. .I had a golden cat who chased a gray mouse through our living room sending my mother, 3-year old sister, and me screaming atop the sofa and chairs. We lived in a farmhouse and I watched Romper Room. A daddy longlegs skittered across my dirty kid legs as I teeter-tottered on a broken kitchen chair back. I played grocery store and laid out a bedroll for group nap time in preschool. We lived in an apartment attached to a bakery. My maternal grandparents visited and a photo was snapped. Grandma held Dawn and Grandpa held me. I held Grandpa's chin. Walking through the back of the flour-caked kitchen, I saw scrumptious pastries and colorful toys stuck in the cupcakes with my hungry kids eyes. We lived in a two-story apartment building next door to a large farmer's field.  That field was my