Skip to main content

Honesty Is Pain

It is difficult to write honestly.  I think that goes double when you rely upon others for your daily care.  How does one say what they really think? How do I let it all hang out, warts and all?

I believe it is impossible to be positive 100% of the time.  If you knew this about me, would you still like me?  I have prided myself on my positive attitude in the face of this freight train of a disease.  And I am ashamed of my negative emotions.  But I feel I shall burst apart in the clichéd million tiny pieces if I hold in all of this pain.

In the past few weeks I have cried so many tears, literally gagging on my emotions that erupt out of me at inopportune times.  My mate does little to try to stem the flow, except that he doesn't want me to scream too loudly so the neighbors know what's going on, or write about my pain so that family or friends are alerted. Is it that he is abusive? Yes. And truthfully, so am I. Pride? Hardly! Bald-faced truth.  Our world has been turned upside down. I've gone from high-energy multitasker, making a home and earning a paycheck to the sedentary bump on a log against my will

This disease, raging through my body, changes my abilities not just on a daily basis, but by the hour. I don't know from one minute to the next if I can press a button on a sensitive touch screen. Or if my legs can hold me as I transfer from wheelchair to toilet. This is not fear born of the unknown rather it is fear from experience. I still bear the bruises on my backside from my last miscalculation doing just that.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Creep

  Have you ever used the internet to look up an old flame? How about an old arch-enemy? Did you have the intention to reconnect? Me neither.

I Remember...

I remember catching fireflies,  putting them in a jar, as a girl of five. I picked pears off a tree that overhung an alleyway on my route home from school, then enjoyed the forbidden fruit. .I had a golden cat who chased a gray mouse through our living room sending my mother, 3-year old sister, and me screaming atop the sofa and chairs. We lived in a farmhouse and I watched Romper Room. A daddy longlegs skittered across my dirty kid legs as I teeter-tottered on a broken kitchen chair back. I played grocery store and laid out a bedroll for group nap time in preschool. We lived in an apartment attached to a bakery. My maternal grandparents visited and a photo was snapped. Grandma held Dawn and Grandpa held me. I held Grandpa's chin. Walking through the back of the flour-caked kitchen, I saw scrumptious pastries and colorful toys stuck in the cupcakes with my hungry kids eyes. We lived in a two-story apartment building next door to a large farmer's field.  That field was my