Skip to main content

An Act of Love

24Saturday, my friends brought me a meeting, a recovery meeting. I so appreciate this simple act of love and kindness, this act of service, my lifeline to the program of Alcoholics Anonymous. Although, it must be hard on these friends to bear witness to my deterioration, they are faithful in their mission.

I've been around the program of Alcoholics Anonymous long enough to know that the motivation is not purely altruistic. They get insurance of another day of sobriety; they get the opportunity to live their lives happy, joyous, and free. Even though, they have their choice of many venues to acheive this goal; they could attend any meeting of Alcoholics Anonymous, work with a sponsee, work with a sponsor, or any other person for the purpose of recovery. Heck, they could go take a meeting to another person confined to a nursing home, hospital, or in a recovery center, or incarcerated in a jail or prison. But, they spend time and resources to come to bring a meeting to me.

I am grateful. I am honored. I am fortunate. I am in awe of their commitment, their tenacity, the degree of their dedication. I truly do not know if I would have done the same. That they are a core group of old-timers increases my awe and gratitude. Note: the term "old-timers" is indicative of time in the program of Alcoholics Anonymous working the steps. Through their experience, strength, and hope, I derive continued strength and hope to get through my experience of dying with dignity sober. Note: my use of the term "death with dignity" is not a euphemism for suicide in the face of a terminal illness. I will be passing on "au natural" or possibly with a bit of morphine on board to ease the pain. I'm no hero. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kate

I think about my friend, Kate Struby, who died from this horrible disease in 2013. She lived here at Bailey Boushay House before I did. I reached out to Kate online through FaceBook because I loved her photograph with her head thrown back in laughter. I also loved her posts. I guess I just loved her spirit. I got to finally meet her one month before she died. I happened to be at the University of Washington Medical Center for my quarterly appointment when I saw her FaceBook post. She was awake and in the medical ICU. She was a mere few floors down. I would not be stopped. Relativeor no, I would meet my FaceBook friend. Thank God I did. I rolled into the room to find a beautiful, ethere.al woman flanked by two friends. Although it was an impromtu visit, she said she knew me immediately.I was in awe of her with her fiery spirit despite the ravages of our shared disease. She, unable to lift even a finger, lifted my spirit.

Disrespected, Again...

It's 10 pm, I've accomplished nothing to speak of. I watched one movi, "The One I Love", a Twilight Zone-esque story on a couple trying to reconcile. And, one television show, "Running Wild with Bear Grylles" guest starring Channing Tatum. OMG!!! And, I ate some dinner. Tonight was chicken gumbo, chili, cornbread, oatmeal cookies and ice cream. Not much of a day. Nope. I was looking forward to my husband's visit but when he called at 5 pm, he mentioned that he was in Ritzville (by Spokane) working on his trailer with Darryl (the other jerk that took my cruise without me).  I do not begrudge my husband having a life away from me. However, as I keep telling him, I don't appreciate being purposefully left out of loop and disrespected by being left waiting for his disrespectful ass. Any questions?

Gratitude For Reading

People are reading my blog! I cannot express my gratitude enough. My heart is soaring! Before I got ALS, it was a minor interest amongst many varied interests. Today, I am unable to physically participate in many of my prior interests, like motorcycling, photography, knitting and other handicrafts, hiking, traveling, painting, drawing, going to the gym, working in the garden, doing housework, canning, and cooking gourmet or ethnic foods. Therefore, I am more focused on the ones that are most accessible to me, such as reading via audiobook or e-book, television, movies, meditation, music appreciation, and writing. Like the blind man who's sense of hearing and smell is heightened, I'd like to think my crippled body has made me more attuned to things more on the spiritual and sensual level. Initially, when some members of my family read my blog, they chose to focus on what they viewed as negative. The feedback I got was harsh and personally critical. .I was told that I was ...