Skip to main content

Charlie

My husband's eldest cousin died, unexpectedly, this weekend. His body was discovered off Vashon Island in a kayak. We really don't know any details.

Charlie was not only a family member, but a friend. My husband logged many hours mountaineering on many of the peaks in Washington, and one in Oregon. Mount Rainier, Mount Baker, Mount St. Helens (before the eruption), and Mount Hood (if I'm remembering accurately), Along with Charlie and his brothers; Mike, Dan, Rick, and Ernie.

They sounded like a somewhat motley crew, climbing mountains on-the-cheap and whilst drinking Rainier Beer and smoking grass. Oh, and cousin Ernie was crazy (or more politically correct, mentally ill). It made for some hair-raising tales of adventure, not fit for publication by The Mountaineers. 

It should be known that the misadventures occurred when they were young and dumb. Charlie grew up to become a responsible adult, a single father of two sons, a respected electrical inspector, and a minister. My memories are more recent: Charlie introducing us to his new wife, Peggy; Charlie singing beautifully in his church's Christmas play; Charlie showing us photographs of their trip to Israel; Charlie and Peggy unexpectedly jogging by us as we visit the Des Moines pier. Good memories, every one.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Creep

  Have you ever used the internet to look up an old flame? How about an old arch-enemy? Did you have the intention to reconnect? Me neither.

I Remember...

I remember catching fireflies,  putting them in a jar, as a girl of five. I picked pears off a tree that overhung an alleyway on my route home from school, then enjoyed the forbidden fruit. .I had a golden cat who chased a gray mouse through our living room sending my mother, 3-year old sister, and me screaming atop the sofa and chairs. We lived in a farmhouse and I watched Romper Room. A daddy longlegs skittered across my dirty kid legs as I teeter-tottered on a broken kitchen chair back. I played grocery store and laid out a bedroll for group nap time in preschool. We lived in an apartment attached to a bakery. My maternal grandparents visited and a photo was snapped. Grandma held Dawn and Grandpa held me. I held Grandpa's chin. Walking through the back of the flour-caked kitchen, I saw scrumptious pastries and colorful toys stuck in the cupcakes with my hungry kids eyes. We lived in a two-story apartment building next door to a large farmer's field.  That field was my