Skip to main content

Mouth Management 201

My chief challenge right now is mouth management. That is not a euphemism for not swearing, though a few caregivers may argue that. I'm talking about the very things that healthy people never even think about; the  lubrication of mucosal linings and mucus evacuation.

ALS has blessed me with an overabundance of mucus, otherwise known as secretions, and has taken away the ability to manage that abundance. A healthy body just clears it away by salivating then spitting or swallowing. I've lost control of my tongue, along with air pressure, thus I cannot spit nor swallow properly and must create work-arounds.

My ALS doctor, actually the pulmonologist, prescribed two machines; the suction machine to remove secretions from the mouth and throat, and the cough-assist which brings secretions back up from my esophagus and trachea (windpipe). Both of which can be very traumatic. There is nothing quite comparable to having a hard plastic wand rammed down the gullet, or into the soft palate, no matter how well-meaning the caregiver. 

I take medications to dry secretions that overwhelm my system and try to choke me. It works really well, too well. It sucks all moisture out of my system, creating extreme dry mouth, difficulty peeing, and constipation. Lending credence to the old adage If it's not one thing, it's three. 

Hydration -- at this stage, I take in water two ways, bolus through my peg tube and via mouth swab, a real trickle down deal. Begin at the top of mouth, working back to front, swipe a clean, wet swab high above the molars, sweeping past the front teeth. Sweeping high above the gums releases liquid without added pressure that breaks down gums. Alternate left and right until patient is hydrated. If patient is allowing water to run out again. It is likely a flushing manuver to get rid of mucus or food. Now we are on to mucus removal. Proper hydration begins with mucus removal.

Swipe the bottom, below the gumline, to release the water. The water will likely need changing. Clear roof of my mouth from mucus. Using a dry swab, starting back and pulling forward. If you get a significant glob, by all means, throw out the disposable swab. Proceed with the wet swab, covering the entire roof. Behind the teeth, mucus loves my teeth. It seems to travel down from the roof of my mouth, piling up against, and encasing my teeth. I need a few swipes, back to front to remove loose, new mucus. And a more concentrated effort behind the front four teeth.

Behind the bottom teeth, under the tongue, is a whole new gig. I collect a toxic stew of mucus, food, and whatever detritus that filters down. Well, maybe toxic isn't the word since I haven't died from it. But it is disgusting! I need my caregiver to sweep left to right with a scooping motion. One direction, smooth, unbroken motion. I realize this is an advanced move. Hence, the title of this class, Mouth Management 201, not 101. Help a girl out, hey!

Fun and games aside, I really get frustrated by the caregivers who think I'm wasting their time by the increase in the frequency of calls.  I really do need hydration and mucus removal. You better believe I wish that I were able to do this for myself. And the ones who deem it necessary to time limit me as if I'm unimportant in the grand scheme. Breathing is important last time I checked. Clearing mucus from the airway rates. Keeping my mucosal linings hydrated so I don't gag or choke is important. The penalty for a lapse is only MY DEATH.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kate

I think about my friend, Kate Struby, who died from this horrible disease in 2013. She lived here at Bailey Boushay House before I did. I reached out to Kate online through FaceBook because I loved her photograph with her head thrown back in laughter. I also loved her posts. I guess I just loved her spirit. I got to finally meet her one month before she died. I happened to be at the University of Washington Medical Center for my quarterly appointment when I saw her FaceBook post. She was awake and in the medical ICU. She was a mere few floors down. I would not be stopped. Relativeor no, I would meet my FaceBook friend. Thank God I did. I rolled into the room to find a beautiful, ethere.al woman flanked by two friends. Although it was an impromtu visit, she said she knew me immediately.I was in awe of her with her fiery spirit despite the ravages of our shared disease. She, unable to lift even a finger, lifted my spirit.

Disrespected, Again...

It's 10 pm, I've accomplished nothing to speak of. I watched one movi, "The One I Love", a Twilight Zone-esque story on a couple trying to reconcile. And, one television show, "Running Wild with Bear Grylles" guest starring Channing Tatum. OMG!!! And, I ate some dinner. Tonight was chicken gumbo, chili, cornbread, oatmeal cookies and ice cream. Not much of a day. Nope. I was looking forward to my husband's visit but when he called at 5 pm, he mentioned that he was in Ritzville (by Spokane) working on his trailer with Darryl (the other jerk that took my cruise without me).  I do not begrudge my husband having a life away from me. However, as I keep telling him, I don't appreciate being purposefully left out of loop and disrespected by being left waiting for his disrespectful ass. Any questions?

Gratitude For Reading

People are reading my blog! I cannot express my gratitude enough. My heart is soaring! Before I got ALS, it was a minor interest amongst many varied interests. Today, I am unable to physically participate in many of my prior interests, like motorcycling, photography, knitting and other handicrafts, hiking, traveling, painting, drawing, going to the gym, working in the garden, doing housework, canning, and cooking gourmet or ethnic foods. Therefore, I am more focused on the ones that are most accessible to me, such as reading via audiobook or e-book, television, movies, meditation, music appreciation, and writing. Like the blind man who's sense of hearing and smell is heightened, I'd like to think my crippled body has made me more attuned to things more on the spiritual and sensual level. Initially, when some members of my family read my blog, they chose to focus on what they viewed as negative. The feedback I got was harsh and personally critical. .I was told that I was ...