Skip to main content

Creative Angst

My fingers have done their walking...through countless pages of knitting books and binders of patterns...through the virtual pages of Ravelry.com and Google. I've enlisted the help of the knitting group at my local yarn store (LYS). It has been days that have gelled into weeks which hopefully won't melt into months.

I'm in search of inspiration. I'm hoping to be struck with that glorious divine energy when I'm powerless to stop my fingers from wrapping delicious fiber around smooth knitting needles or a gleaming crochet hook. My quest began with my desire to knit a summer tank top for my baby girl, my 23-year-old baby girl. That perfect pattern hasn't materialized, yet. I diverted my attention to other tasks.

A few days later, the itch to knit is strong and if I'm not casting on a tank, then I'm willing to go on to other things. So, I dig into my stash to see if inspiration strikes. A few possibilities pop out at me. I cast on a Clapotis and quickly have issues. I bring up YouTube and begin viewing the stitches I'm having trouble with. I begin again. Still wrong. Frog it. Begin again. Still wrong. Frogged again. I divert my attention to other tasks.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Creep

  Have you ever used the internet to look up an old flame? How about an old arch-enemy? Did you have the intention to reconnect? Me neither.

I Remember...

I remember catching fireflies,  putting them in a jar, as a girl of five. I picked pears off a tree that overhung an alleyway on my route home from school, then enjoyed the forbidden fruit. .I had a golden cat who chased a gray mouse through our living room sending my mother, 3-year old sister, and me screaming atop the sofa and chairs. We lived in a farmhouse and I watched Romper Room. A daddy longlegs skittered across my dirty kid legs as I teeter-tottered on a broken kitchen chair back. I played grocery store and laid out a bedroll for group nap time in preschool. We lived in an apartment attached to a bakery. My maternal grandparents visited and a photo was snapped. Grandma held Dawn and Grandpa held me. I held Grandpa's chin. Walking through the back of the flour-caked kitchen, I saw scrumptious pastries and colorful toys stuck in the cupcakes with my hungry kids eyes. We lived in a two-story apartment building next door to a large farmer's field.  That field was my