Skip to main content

Recently Read: The Hunger Games

Thankfully, one pastime that I haven't had to relinquish since the onset of my occupational disease is reading.  Having to put the kibosh on former activities such as working for a living, knitting, cooking (unable to safely control a knife), and many household chores, including yard work (BTW, I love yard work especially mowing and mulching), I am ever so grateful that I can still (with enough pillows to provide support) hold a book and read it.

While I also will download audiobooks from the library onto my iPod and listen to those while I manage other chores, I am resistant to iPads, Kindles, and the like. Heck, I have a computer I can either listen to or read eBooks on.  But nothing quite measures up to the look and the feel of a real, live "low-tech" book.  Hardback or paperback usually make no never mind to me.  I just the love the physical reality of a book in my hands.

The most recent series of books I read are actually aimed at the teenager and young adult crowd, but like the Twilight series, it didn't stop me nor my immediate family from being transported and enthralled.  These were "The Hunger Games", "Catching Fire", and "Mockingjay" by Suzanne Collins.  I voraciously read each novel and was surprised to find that the sequels were equally good as the first novel.  These books came highly recommended by both my mother (nearing 70 years old) and my 40-something sister.  (Note, I am breathing down the neck of 50.)  My only regret?  I finished them and had to return them.  These books were as entertaining as they were beautiful and I longed to shove them into my own personal library.

Being a woman of good character and high integrity, I returned the novels to my baby sister. However, I'm not so squeaky clean as to not covet them.  (Sorry Sis!)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Creep

  Have you ever used the internet to look up an old flame? How about an old arch-enemy? Did you have the intention to reconnect? Me neither.

I Remember...

I remember catching fireflies,  putting them in a jar, as a girl of five. I picked pears off a tree that overhung an alleyway on my route home from school, then enjoyed the forbidden fruit. .I had a golden cat who chased a gray mouse through our living room sending my mother, 3-year old sister, and me screaming atop the sofa and chairs. We lived in a farmhouse and I watched Romper Room. A daddy longlegs skittered across my dirty kid legs as I teeter-tottered on a broken kitchen chair back. I played grocery store and laid out a bedroll for group nap time in preschool. We lived in an apartment attached to a bakery. My maternal grandparents visited and a photo was snapped. Grandma held Dawn and Grandpa held me. I held Grandpa's chin. Walking through the back of the flour-caked kitchen, I saw scrumptious pastries and colorful toys stuck in the cupcakes with my hungry kids eyes. We lived in a two-story apartment building next door to a large farmer's field.  That field was my