Skip to main content

My Last Home on Earth

Day two at Bailey Boushay House and I am impressed! I was extremely apprehensive about coming here.I fretted, railed, and cried like a baby. I was terrified almost out of my mind.

But when I arrived, they were waiting outside for me. I was suspicious. I'd toured "Bailey" last year so I was interested in seeing the reality of my room. (How bad was it gonna be?) I graciously received by the staff. The atmosphere was relaxed though there was a lot to do with me as a new admit. They were very aware that my diagnosis lends itself to fatigue and they kept asking if I needed to rest. (They were not that knowledgeable nor compassionate the duration of my stay.) BTW, I did receive compassion, friendship and love from a handful of caregivers at the previous home.

My first meal was amazing! They have a real kitchen and real chefs! Salmon, polenta, pea soup multi-grain roll, asparagus, real Ocean Spray cranberry juice cocktail. That may sound blah blah blah to you but foods with grain, flavor, texture,  and name brand quality ingredients is a Godsend. I don't feel quite as thrown away. I feel more like I matter. Like I'm home.

Subsequent meals have been just as good With an added bonus: variety! I'm a foodie and if there something I miss since losing my mobility, it's different ethnicities. I've had gumbo (with okra), Greek gyros, eggplant parmesan and I've been here less than one week!

While food is important to me, it is not everything. It's so much less stressful having staff that is adept at handling my Permobile wheelchair and my Tobii alternative and augmentative speech device. Those are spendy and essential items many ALS patients need. I cannot possibly convey how stressed out I was in a well-rated regular skilled nursing facility. I feel so confident in their ability to handle my gear with the exception of my cough assist and suction machines. They haven't been set up by my bed, yet.

Back to the staff, I still have a wonderful diversity here but not the blank stares and nods of ascent when they have no idea what you've said. I haven't been close to yelling at anyone. (I don't like yelling. It taxes my whole body.)

There are so many positives about being here :better food, better staff, private room, lots of activities, Blu-Ray Player in my room with ability to hook in my own Netflix and Pandora accounts, lots of volunteers walking about eager to help, free massage, recovery meeting, garden, terrarium room, art room! Did I leave anything out?!

I think if I cannot live in my own home, I may be able to live here. Just maybe.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Creep

  Have you ever used the internet to look up an old flame? How about an old arch-enemy? Did you have the intention to reconnect? Me neither.

I Remember...

I remember catching fireflies,  putting them in a jar, as a girl of five. I picked pears off a tree that overhung an alleyway on my route home from school, then enjoyed the forbidden fruit. .I had a golden cat who chased a gray mouse through our living room sending my mother, 3-year old sister, and me screaming atop the sofa and chairs. We lived in a farmhouse and I watched Romper Room. A daddy longlegs skittered across my dirty kid legs as I teeter-tottered on a broken kitchen chair back. I played grocery store and laid out a bedroll for group nap time in preschool. We lived in an apartment attached to a bakery. My maternal grandparents visited and a photo was snapped. Grandma held Dawn and Grandpa held me. I held Grandpa's chin. Walking through the back of the flour-caked kitchen, I saw scrumptious pastries and colorful toys stuck in the cupcakes with my hungry kids eyes. We lived in a two-story apartment building next door to a large farmer's field.  That field was my