Skip to main content

Expectations

Finally, I made it to Recovery Group this morning! I hate to admit that I was disappointed. I wanted an AA meeting or Celebrate Recovery or the like. I thought it would be a large meeting with recovering alcoholics and addicts from all walks of life. I expected rambunctiousness, hugs, chatter, readings, flambouyant characters, a message... What is it they say about expectations? Our happiness is inversely proportionate to our expectations.

If I believe our literature, I must accept that things are exactly as they should be at this point in time. That nothing, absolutely nothing, happens in God's world by mistake. I can, however, have the courage to change the things I can.

I can contact my AA friends and request meetings be brought in or search out a local meeting to attend.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Creep

  Have you ever used the internet to look up an old flame? How about an old arch-enemy? Did you have the intention to reconnect? Me neither.

I Remember...

I remember catching fireflies,  putting them in a jar, as a girl of five. I picked pears off a tree that overhung an alleyway on my route home from school, then enjoyed the forbidden fruit. .I had a golden cat who chased a gray mouse through our living room sending my mother, 3-year old sister, and me screaming atop the sofa and chairs. We lived in a farmhouse and I watched Romper Room. A daddy longlegs skittered across my dirty kid legs as I teeter-tottered on a broken kitchen chair back. I played grocery store and laid out a bedroll for group nap time in preschool. We lived in an apartment attached to a bakery. My maternal grandparents visited and a photo was snapped. Grandma held Dawn and Grandpa held me. I held Grandpa's chin. Walking through the back of the flour-caked kitchen, I saw scrumptious pastries and colorful toys stuck in the cupcakes with my hungry kids eyes. We lived in a two-story apartment building next door to a large farmer's field.  That field was my