Skip to main content

It Works

It works -- it really does. -- ALCOHOLICS ANONYMOUS p. 88

It just kills me when people find out I have long-term sobriety in AA then feel inclined to AA bash. "Yeah, I tried AA, but...I couldn't get past all the God stuff"; or "... People were so holier-than-thou" or "...It didn't work for me." or whatever their explanation is. They're merely excuses. The scapegoat that allowed them an escape hatch to exit a real opportunity to get sober with their ego intact. It's a mechanism of denial, one of the strongest chains that keep us bound by the disease of alcoholism. It's a lie.

The truth is that AA doesn't require that anyone believe in God. A God of their understanding or anything that they are willing to believe in that has power. Just because I made peace with God as I misunderstand Him, and it works for me, doesn't mean you have to believe as I do. I'm no authority. I have friends that stay sober on an undisclosed Higher Power, their "God with skin", vibrations, Great Spirit, Mother Nature and heard of folks using Group Of Drunks, electricity, even doorknobs (initially). There went that excuse.

AA has no single ultimate authority, no boss', no gurus. The highest achievement is sobriety. Not even sponsors nor speakers are the boss. Did you allow someone to drive you away? That's on you. Principles before personalities. Get yourself back in there, you are worth it. .

If AA just did not work for you, I would add "yet" onto that statement. As long as you're not 6 feet under, it's not too late. Get over yourself and get back in there. You have got to want it (sobriety). It works -- it really does.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Creep

  Have you ever used the internet to look up an old flame? How about an old arch-enemy? Did you have the intention to reconnect? Me neither.

I Remember...

I remember catching fireflies,  putting them in a jar, as a girl of five. I picked pears off a tree that overhung an alleyway on my route home from school, then enjoyed the forbidden fruit. .I had a golden cat who chased a gray mouse through our living room sending my mother, 3-year old sister, and me screaming atop the sofa and chairs. We lived in a farmhouse and I watched Romper Room. A daddy longlegs skittered across my dirty kid legs as I teeter-tottered on a broken kitchen chair back. I played grocery store and laid out a bedroll for group nap time in preschool. We lived in an apartment attached to a bakery. My maternal grandparents visited and a photo was snapped. Grandma held Dawn and Grandpa held me. I held Grandpa's chin. Walking through the back of the flour-caked kitchen, I saw scrumptious pastries and colorful toys stuck in the cupcakes with my hungry kids eyes. We lived in a two-story apartment building next door to a large farmer's field.  That field was my