Skip to main content

A Thousand Little Details

Taking care of me is no easy task. As a person with ALS who has been made a quadriplegic by the disease, I require a Helluva lot of care. All of my activities of daily living (ADL's) need to be done by others.

Telling somebody this does not begin to quantify the myriad details that must occur to keep me safe, healthy, relatively comfortable, and happy (or is the word  engaged). I rely on caregivers to feed, clothe, and medicate me. They change my position in bed and change my soiled briefs. They bathe me, brush my hair, brush my teeth, shave my legs and pits, shampoo my hair, set me up on the commode, apply antibacterial powder under my breasts, make up to my face, and Calazine to my bottom.

Even this level of detail doesn't tell the whole story. They transfer me from bed to power wheelchair and back, from bed to shower chair and back, from bed to shower chair to accessible bathtub and back, again. To accomplish these moves, they must use slings for the built-in lifts. They roll me on my side, paying close attention to where my arms and legs are. They also have to watch head placement and monitor my breathing. They have to know what color loops to use on my sling to keep me upright and able to breathe easy. They have to know how to recline and tilt my wheelchair and how to position me properly in it. They must know how to position my left hand on the goal post controller. They need to know how to mount and attach my Tobii speech device and make sure it is usable.

And still, this doesn't tell the story. They must learn to use machines that keep my diaphragm working that my lungs may process air. Strapping the bipap mask to my face is a challenge. Getting it placed correctly over nose and mouth then holding it in place while, simultaneously, getting the straps over my head without pulling my hair. Let's just say it's left both sides traumatized. The key to success is two well-trained caregivers working in unison. Or one extraordinary one. The same can be said for the caregiver who must work the cough assist and suction machines. Though one has used these on an ALS patient previously, is no guarantee of success on another. We are individuals with widely varied needs and abilities. I, for example, can tolerate three (3) cycles on the cough assist to bring up secretions (folks, that's phlegm and mucus! ) whereas others can only take one at a time. And I cannot tolerate a hard, plastic suction wand. Instead, I need the one made of softer plastic with a retractable sheath otherwise I cannot effectively manuver the wand to extract those secretions. Do you get my meaning? These are, by no means, the whole of our reality.


It's amazing how much help is required to keep me at this level of happy.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kate

I think about my friend, Kate Struby, who died from this horrible disease in 2013. She lived here at Bailey Boushay House before I did. I reached out to Kate online through FaceBook because I loved her photograph with her head thrown back in laughter. I also loved her posts. I guess I just loved her spirit. I got to finally meet her one month before she died. I happened to be at the University of Washington Medical Center for my quarterly appointment when I saw her FaceBook post. She was awake and in the medical ICU. She was a mere few floors down. I would not be stopped. Relativeor no, I would meet my FaceBook friend. Thank God I did. I rolled into the room to find a beautiful, ethere.al woman flanked by two friends. Although it was an impromtu visit, she said she knew me immediately.I was in awe of her with her fiery spirit despite the ravages of our shared disease. She, unable to lift even a finger, lifted my spirit.

Gratitude For Reading

People are reading my blog! I cannot express my gratitude enough. My heart is soaring! Before I got ALS, it was a minor interest amongst many varied interests. Today, I am unable to physically participate in many of my prior interests, like motorcycling, photography, knitting and other handicrafts, hiking, traveling, painting, drawing, going to the gym, working in the garden, doing housework, canning, and cooking gourmet or ethnic foods. Therefore, I am more focused on the ones that are most accessible to me, such as reading via audiobook or e-book, television, movies, meditation, music appreciation, and writing. Like the blind man who's sense of hearing and smell is heightened, I'd like to think my crippled body has made me more attuned to things more on the spiritual and sensual level. Initially, when some members of my family read my blog, they chose to focus on what they viewed as negative. The feedback I got was harsh and personally critical. .I was told that I was ...

Disrespected, Again...

It's 10 pm, I've accomplished nothing to speak of. I watched one movi, "The One I Love", a Twilight Zone-esque story on a couple trying to reconcile. And, one television show, "Running Wild with Bear Grylles" guest starring Channing Tatum. OMG!!! And, I ate some dinner. Tonight was chicken gumbo, chili, cornbread, oatmeal cookies and ice cream. Not much of a day. Nope. I was looking forward to my husband's visit but when he called at 5 pm, he mentioned that he was in Ritzville (by Spokane) working on his trailer with Darryl (the other jerk that took my cruise without me).  I do not begrudge my husband having a life away from me. However, as I keep telling him, I don't appreciate being purposefully left out of loop and disrespected by being left waiting for his disrespectful ass. Any questions?