Skip to main content

Sainthood?

"Your husband is a saint." that sentiment never fails to piss me off!

Yeah, I should just graciously accept the compliment on behalf of my husband but... I've been on the receiving end of his surly temper, impatience, and complete lack of empathy. I've felt sheer terror when his hands wrapped around my throat; when he threw me out of the wheelchair van; when he walked away from me in the pitch dark of North Dakota and I was wheelchair bound.

I've felt the bitter taste of spousal betrayal when he abandoned me on four separate occasions. .I went from a healthy independent woman to quadrapalegic in eight short months. I needed my wedding vows honored. "In sickness and in health..." Not abandonment and my man actively campaigning against Me, trying to prove mental incompetence and calling attorneys to investigate divorce. These are facts, not just my perception.

He chose to cancel my ticket for a Disney cruise through the Panama Canal when it was to be my final vacation. And to make matters worse, he went on our cruise. At no time did he call me and neither did he come home when he returned. More uncertainty and humiliation, like ALS wasn't enough.

That is why I hardly think he is a candidate for sainthood.  That said, there are reasons I allow him in my life, such as it is, today. I've accepted the fact that he is a miserable failure with regard to caring for me day-to-day and managing a household and taking care of himself. I've come to realize that I was the anchor of our family And I can hardly place all of the blame on him when I allowed myself to be so disillusioned.

These days I live away from home in a hospice facility. He visits me during the week, after work, most of the time. He brings me flowers often, chocolate, a lot, and stuff from home (after numerous requests and begging). Additionally, he will floss and brush my teeth and clean my ears. Very necessary care tasks that are seldom done properly. For that, I am extremely grateful.

I love when he feeds me dinner and shares it with me. He knows most of what I'm able to eat and drink. I also appreciate when we hang out and watch television together.It feels almost normal to sit together and connect over a shared movie television show. The best thing about his visits are those times when he leans over and touches me affectionately.

Bottomline: All my expectations aside, I fell in love with this man seventeen years ago and I'm not willing to flush away our years together because my husband was ill-equipped for this extraordinary life situation.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Creep

  Have you ever used the internet to look up an old flame? How about an old arch-enemy? Did you have the intention to reconnect? Me neither.

I Remember...

I remember catching fireflies,  putting them in a jar, as a girl of five. I picked pears off a tree that overhung an alleyway on my route home from school, then enjoyed the forbidden fruit. .I had a golden cat who chased a gray mouse through our living room sending my mother, 3-year old sister, and me screaming atop the sofa and chairs. We lived in a farmhouse and I watched Romper Room. A daddy longlegs skittered across my dirty kid legs as I teeter-tottered on a broken kitchen chair back. I played grocery store and laid out a bedroll for group nap time in preschool. We lived in an apartment attached to a bakery. My maternal grandparents visited and a photo was snapped. Grandma held Dawn and Grandpa held me. I held Grandpa's chin. Walking through the back of the flour-caked kitchen, I saw scrumptious pastries and colorful toys stuck in the cupcakes with my hungry kids eyes. We lived in a two-story apartment building next door to a large farmer's field.  That field was my