Skip to main content

Good Friends Reunited

Had a visit today from a long-term, estranged girlfriend. This was her second visit in as many months since we have reunited. You know, it is how they say, a good friend picks up where they left off. It is like no time has passed at all, except that we must fill each other in on events that occurred in absentia. She seems to blame herself but it is my fault.

We made the mistake of working together then found ourselves opposed on several issues. It was her job first, so when we were at continual cross purposes, I grew depressed then quit the job. I think we tried to remain friends but I held resentments I refused to discuss and we grew apart.

When first we met, my girlfriend was part of a couple. I met them near to twenty years ago at a motorcycle event called "Sun and Surf" in Ocean Shores, Washington. My daughter played a huge part in our introduction since I wanted to go to the Saturday night dance with my friends. Kids were not allowed and the Christian Motorcycle Association was offering children's activities and childcare. The couple offering the care became a part of our lives and some of my best friends.

We stayed in contact due in part to proximity. We lived a couple of miles apart in the same city, belonged to the same Harley Owner's Group rider's club and they guided me back to my Christian faith right when I needed it. When we met, I was flirtin' with disaster, so to speak.

I was involved with a patch-wearing outlaw biker living a double life as a corporate I.T. Professional (a .nerd). Deluding myself, thinking the "outlaw" part was just a fun role to play and wouldn't interfere with raising my daughter. That on again, off again relationship lasted a few years until I rediscovered my values and morals. My good friends kept me strong even when he followed us to church.

They were the type of friends who kept me busy, provided wholesome entertainment (dragging their third wheel to events), and scrutinizing potential new boyfriends (I did not trust myself for awhile). They allowed me to cling to them even in church. I followed them to married couple's sunday school to avoid the single's version. I was in fear of a holier-than-thou meat market among other things. They kept me close, providing acceptance and love and a Christmas tree and a pet cockatiel named Perry.

Sadly, my personal "power" couple split-up and divorced unbeknowst to me. I believe that my other friend contacted me and my spouse first. I think that combined with our strife led to a further estrangment. When my girlfriend learned that my husband and I were in contact with her recently divorced husband, she did not feel comfortable continuing a relationship. Divorce is horribly dividing not just the couple but also their friends and family. No judgement. That's just how it is. I get it as a one time divorce'.

Of course, I welcome my good friend back into my life. Honestly, she never left my heart. She told me the same. It's all good.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Creep

  Have you ever used the internet to look up an old flame? How about an old arch-enemy? Did you have the intention to reconnect? Me neither.

I Remember...

I remember catching fireflies,  putting them in a jar, as a girl of five. I picked pears off a tree that overhung an alleyway on my route home from school, then enjoyed the forbidden fruit. .I had a golden cat who chased a gray mouse through our living room sending my mother, 3-year old sister, and me screaming atop the sofa and chairs. We lived in a farmhouse and I watched Romper Room. A daddy longlegs skittered across my dirty kid legs as I teeter-tottered on a broken kitchen chair back. I played grocery store and laid out a bedroll for group nap time in preschool. We lived in an apartment attached to a bakery. My maternal grandparents visited and a photo was snapped. Grandma held Dawn and Grandpa held me. I held Grandpa's chin. Walking through the back of the flour-caked kitchen, I saw scrumptious pastries and colorful toys stuck in the cupcakes with my hungry kids eyes. We lived in a two-story apartment building next door to a large farmer's field.  That field was my