Skip to main content

A Delicate Matter

Every day I'm alive I'm forced to deal with elimination. The past few years, my reality has been that I'm unable to use the bathroom by myself. ALS has left me paralyzed, a quadriplegic, unable to attend to any of life's most basic necessities.

Prior to coming to the nursing home situation, my husband was my caregiver and aided me with such matters. Too bad his first wife passed on before I became incapacitated. I am certain that she would have been gratified to learn that he was forced to assist me clean and change following unfortunate incidents. I heard that he did not do his fair share of diaper changes. Karma?

In my wildest imaginings, I never thought that I would be naked and vulnerable with gay men, lesbians, transgenders, and straight men and women attending to my bits. I've been attended to by Christians, Buddhists, agnostics, Jews, and Muslims and I've had very good care by all. I think one of the best aspects of becoming disabled and entering nursing care, is how my world opened up to other people, not people I sought out but people that God put into my path, to enrich me in other ways. I've met people from all over the world.

One of my favorite people is a young, happy, Somali, Muslim woman with whom I've had talks about her life and religion. Another favorite is a cuddle-worthy, anglo, gay man whom I share a love of photography and a warped sense of humor. The greatest compliment he paid me was an off-hand comment to another caregiver, She gets me. One of my most hilarious moments had to be getting my well-endowed bosoms into my bra by two gay men. Think about it.

Exposure of my delicates is still a challenge and not much fun. I am so fortunate to have such good people to make an awkward situation better.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Creep

  Have you ever used the internet to look up an old flame? How about an old arch-enemy? Did you have the intention to reconnect? Me neither.

I Remember...

I remember catching fireflies,  putting them in a jar, as a girl of five. I picked pears off a tree that overhung an alleyway on my route home from school, then enjoyed the forbidden fruit. .I had a golden cat who chased a gray mouse through our living room sending my mother, 3-year old sister, and me screaming atop the sofa and chairs. We lived in a farmhouse and I watched Romper Room. A daddy longlegs skittered across my dirty kid legs as I teeter-tottered on a broken kitchen chair back. I played grocery store and laid out a bedroll for group nap time in preschool. We lived in an apartment attached to a bakery. My maternal grandparents visited and a photo was snapped. Grandma held Dawn and Grandpa held me. I held Grandpa's chin. Walking through the back of the flour-caked kitchen, I saw scrumptious pastries and colorful toys stuck in the cupcakes with my hungry kids eyes. We lived in a two-story apartment building next door to a large farmer's field.  That field was my