Skip to main content

Soul Night

1112I feel good, I knew that I would now..., screams the Godfather of Soul, James Brown.

Music and soul food was the point of the night...another heartfelt offering to we, who have found ourselves, less than whole, victims of circumstance, ripped from our lives...such as we were...into such as we are. A night to forget our unfortunate circumstance, and remember who we once were...through music and food.

We entered a roomful of musical notes, literally and figuratively, hanging from the ceiling and filling the air, spilling out of music videos. Familiar and new friendly faces greeted us, making certain each and every one of us was well-situated and comfortable, presenting us with printed menus.

Like a well-appointed restaurant, with a well-paid wait staff, it's easy to forget that most are volunteers with hearts of gold. They could be home watching Game of Thrones or going on their own night out, instead, they chose to be here at Bailey Boushay House, making our night "out" special. For that, I am so grateful. As Aretha so eloquently sings, R-E-S-P-E-C-T.

We, my husband and myself, approached our fourtop, clad in gleaming white table linen, a sunny-yellow crysanthemum in a bottle, atop a long-playing record album. Cloth napkins and a classy menu are offered, as well as a beverage choice. Red, red wine was not offered, however, Sweet Tea was and I, silently, cursed my inability to take fluids by mouth. I heard that it was wonderful.

Next, came Gumbo and Potato Salad, but the names do the actual soup and salad course an injustice. Though the gumbo was mild in flavor, to satisfy the palates of the many, it was very good. Next time, I shall smuggle in either Tabasco or Frank's Red Hot, 'cuz I put that shit on everything!

Seriously, the potato salad was the creamiest and most delicately flavored my palate has ever savored! I heard it through the grapevine, Chef Daniel, in his signature fedora, Introduced his new soos chef, Marco. At the same time, Chef would only reveal using Yukon Gold potatoes and Dijon mustard in the salad but I swear that heavy cream has got to be in there!!! It is just so creamy.

A B C, easy as 1 2 3, Entree choices were Deep-Fried Macaroni and Cheese, Barbecue Beef Ribs, and Fried Catfish. Let me just say the catfish was "slap yo Mama" moist and delicious! I could live on the catfish and potato salad!!! Side dishes of Black-eyed Peas and Braised Greens. (Personally, I think they are an acquired taste.)

Chef Daniel, personally, served up the dessert of Peach Cobbler and Vanilla Ice Cream, that evoked the
essence of I Feel Good! 

As always, the team at Bailey Boushay House, pulled off another successful "night out", and this one, had soul! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Creep

  Have you ever used the internet to look up an old flame? How about an old arch-enemy? Did you have the intention to reconnect? Me neither.

I Remember...

I remember catching fireflies,  putting them in a jar, as a girl of five. I picked pears off a tree that overhung an alleyway on my route home from school, then enjoyed the forbidden fruit. .I had a golden cat who chased a gray mouse through our living room sending my mother, 3-year old sister, and me screaming atop the sofa and chairs. We lived in a farmhouse and I watched Romper Room. A daddy longlegs skittered across my dirty kid legs as I teeter-tottered on a broken kitchen chair back. I played grocery store and laid out a bedroll for group nap time in preschool. We lived in an apartment attached to a bakery. My maternal grandparents visited and a photo was snapped. Grandma held Dawn and Grandpa held me. I held Grandpa's chin. Walking through the back of the flour-caked kitchen, I saw scrumptious pastries and colorful toys stuck in the cupcakes with my hungry kids eyes. We lived in a two-story apartment building next door to a large farmer's field.  That field was my