Skip to main content

Praise for Bailey Boushay House

My hospice care is state of the art. I believe that.

Formerly, I was warehoused at a Life Care Center, a well-rated skilled nursing facility. My reality was tantamount to prison. I was not lovingly cared for; I was not even professionally cared for. I survived poorly trained, and yet, certified nursing assistants, poorly staffed, crowded conditions, and sadistic management. 

Following a 60-day stay at the hospital, I was discharged to Bailey Boushay House, a skilled nursing facility geared toward the care of patients with HIV-AIDS, who also take ALS, Huntington's, and end of life care. They are more generously staffed and operate in a culture of respect and inclusion. I am fortunate and blessed to be here.

When I arrived, I was a skeptic, watching for the shoe to drop, when the veneer would wear off, to reveal the real goal of money, not caring. Was overwhelmed by the stark differences, so many differences! I had my own room, not having to listen to Keeping up with the Kardasians, and the WWE Smackdown reruns every night or I Love Lucy, Golden Girls, and various spaghetti westerns, (the preferences of the elderly populace, as well as my octogenerian roomie). 

The in-room lift system was a vast improvement over problematic portable units. The view beat looking at my roommate's curtain and a parking lot or the grafittied fence I used to stare at in my Federal Way location. I see beautiful landscape, tall trees, jasmine-scented vines, and I'm on the backside of the facility. I've watched the Blue Angels practice and show from my window.

Most appreciated has to be the quality of care with an emphasis on respect. They thank me! Seriously! And a bonus I never saw coming, an opportunity to grow my mind and heart. I've been honored to be able to befriend members of the LGBT community as well as people from differing nations. An experience I haven't enjoyed since my college experience in 2004-2005. I've been well-loved.

Enriching my experience, and adding life to my years, has been Lynn playing her gorgeous harp, Hildegard. Darcie from Virginia Mason working out what remains of my muscles, combating contracture (helps to keep pain to a minimum), the onsite rehab team, Marnie with Bowen expertise, working on the fascia, inhibiting pain, and Angela, my lucky charm from Ireland keeping it real with awesome occupational therapy, making certain I have a safe bathing experience once a week, whether I need it or not! Bunny backs it all up. And Bill provides relaxation massage. I'm not the only one getting the star treatment, all residents are eligible. It's about inclusion.

The shower facilities are first rate!  As a quadriplegic, I thought showers were in the rear view mirror and was over the moon to see the handicap-accessible bathtub!  Do not underestimate the power of "the tub" as Angela calls it. Weightlessness is awesome!!!

Bailey is chock full o nuts and I are one, too. Personalties abound and brainiacs are a call light away. I am energized to be here. I've been included in activities on the first floor, outpatient, and was lovingly welcomed, despite my wheelchair.

I believe Bailey Boushay House wouldn't be such a jewel if it weren't for the superior management of Brian Knowles and Martha Purrier. They are completely accessible and really listen.

While I offer criticism at times, never doubt my love and gratitude.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Creep

  Have you ever used the internet to look up an old flame? How about an old arch-enemy? Did you have the intention to reconnect? Me neither.

I Remember...

I remember catching fireflies,  putting them in a jar, as a girl of five. I picked pears off a tree that overhung an alleyway on my route home from school, then enjoyed the forbidden fruit. .I had a golden cat who chased a gray mouse through our living room sending my mother, 3-year old sister, and me screaming atop the sofa and chairs. We lived in a farmhouse and I watched Romper Room. A daddy longlegs skittered across my dirty kid legs as I teeter-tottered on a broken kitchen chair back. I played grocery store and laid out a bedroll for group nap time in preschool. We lived in an apartment attached to a bakery. My maternal grandparents visited and a photo was snapped. Grandma held Dawn and Grandpa held me. I held Grandpa's chin. Walking through the back of the flour-caked kitchen, I saw scrumptious pastries and colorful toys stuck in the cupcakes with my hungry kids eyes. We lived in a two-story apartment building next door to a large farmer's field.  That field was my