Skip to main content

Restraint

17A friend died today. That phrase, all too familiar when one collects friends with ALS. What was noteworthy for me, was my reaction to it; I was enraged. An example of frontotemporal disease, the emotion-altering gift to 10% of ALS sufferers? Or an understandable reaction to this debilitating disease? Or I'm just an a**hole? You be the judge; I can't stop you anyway. 
My first reaction to the news was grief; tears streamed down my face, as I recalled her effervescent personality. I only met her a few years ago during an ALS event. She was magnetic; you wanted to be lucky enough to be in her orbit.

If she was attractive, the added combination of her husband's devotion, and her faithful sidekick, a lovely retriever, made her impossible to resist. If I'm unflinchingly honest, I coveted her life, with or without ALS. Her husband never abandoned her, never left her to steal her last vacation, and probably cuddled her in bed toward the end. Her community came together to support her. So did her family.

My rage stemmed from my, unfounded, thought that she must have taken the easy way out, assisted suicide. Mind, that I admit that I know nothing. But, my brain took off down the erroneous path of ego.

Assisted suicide is the easier, softer way. She knew nothing of the deprivation of hearth and home; knew nothing of being betrayed by the one who vowed to love, honor, and obey until death do you part; knew nothing of loved ones leaving you to "the system"; knew nothing of having to endure the indignities of being discriminated against due to your illness you didn't ask for.


My pity party, masked as indignation, knew no bounds. I thank the good Lord for restraint of pen and tongue (and computer) without which I would surely shown my poo-stained knickers, so to speak.

We all have our "crosses to bear". Everybody has their own experience, their own breaking point, their own line in the sand, and we deserve the right to make our own choice (and not be scorned for it). I was guilty of shaming (albeit, in my head). I'm Team Choice and I did my friend an injustice.

I feel ashamed.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Creep

  Have you ever used the internet to look up an old flame? How about an old arch-enemy? Did you have the intention to reconnect? Me neither.

I Remember...

I remember catching fireflies,  putting them in a jar, as a girl of five. I picked pears off a tree that overhung an alleyway on my route home from school, then enjoyed the forbidden fruit. .I had a golden cat who chased a gray mouse through our living room sending my mother, 3-year old sister, and me screaming atop the sofa and chairs. We lived in a farmhouse and I watched Romper Room. A daddy longlegs skittered across my dirty kid legs as I teeter-tottered on a broken kitchen chair back. I played grocery store and laid out a bedroll for group nap time in preschool. We lived in an apartment attached to a bakery. My maternal grandparents visited and a photo was snapped. Grandma held Dawn and Grandpa held me. I held Grandpa's chin. Walking through the back of the flour-caked kitchen, I saw scrumptious pastries and colorful toys stuck in the cupcakes with my hungry kids eyes. We lived in a two-story apartment building next door to a large farmer's field.  That field was my