Skip to main content

XX

Today marks the twentieth anniversary of my last alcoholic beverage.

It will be a deferred celebration. I live in a nursing home, a hospice facility, more precisely. My husband wished me a "Happy Birthday" and gave me a fancy enameled coin depicting the Roman numeral for twenty, "XX". It's a beauty! Black, navy, red, and shiny gold. My girlfriend and sobriety sister, Arlene, sent me an email Birthday wish.

I may have additional Birthday wishes on FaceBook, but I dare not check, lest it interfere with my AAC device**. Tough break, the most popular social media site on the internet, and Tobii cannot be bothered to make them compatible. Argh!!! Add that to Tina's bitch list on technology available to ALS patients. And add that to my personal resentment list.

Yes, just because one accumulates 7,300 days in a row of not drinking alcoholic beverages and works the program of Alcoholics Anonymous, one is not immune to resentments. We just know what to do about them.

My friends are showing up en masse on the weekend to bring me a party and a meeting!

Grateful to be sober, even if it happens to be my last. It was worth the ride...sober

**AAC device is a gaze-enabled communication device used by paralyzed, non-speaking persons due to disease or birth defect.
HK

Y

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kate

I think about my friend, Kate Struby, who died from this horrible disease in 2013. She lived here at Bailey Boushay House before I did. I reached out to Kate online through FaceBook because I loved her photograph with her head thrown back in laughter. I also loved her posts. I guess I just loved her spirit. I got to finally meet her one month before she died. I happened to be at the University of Washington Medical Center for my quarterly appointment when I saw her FaceBook post. She was awake and in the medical ICU. She was a mere few floors down. I would not be stopped. Relativeor no, I would meet my FaceBook friend. Thank God I did. I rolled into the room to find a beautiful, ethere.al woman flanked by two friends. Although it was an impromtu visit, she said she knew me immediately.I was in awe of her with her fiery spirit despite the ravages of our shared disease. She, unable to lift even a finger, lifted my spirit.

Gratitude For Reading

People are reading my blog! I cannot express my gratitude enough. My heart is soaring! Before I got ALS, it was a minor interest amongst many varied interests. Today, I am unable to physically participate in many of my prior interests, like motorcycling, photography, knitting and other handicrafts, hiking, traveling, painting, drawing, going to the gym, working in the garden, doing housework, canning, and cooking gourmet or ethnic foods. Therefore, I am more focused on the ones that are most accessible to me, such as reading via audiobook or e-book, television, movies, meditation, music appreciation, and writing. Like the blind man who's sense of hearing and smell is heightened, I'd like to think my crippled body has made me more attuned to things more on the spiritual and sensual level. Initially, when some members of my family read my blog, they chose to focus on what they viewed as negative. The feedback I got was harsh and personally critical. .I was told that I was ...

Disrespected, Again...

It's 10 pm, I've accomplished nothing to speak of. I watched one movi, "The One I Love", a Twilight Zone-esque story on a couple trying to reconcile. And, one television show, "Running Wild with Bear Grylles" guest starring Channing Tatum. OMG!!! And, I ate some dinner. Tonight was chicken gumbo, chili, cornbread, oatmeal cookies and ice cream. Not much of a day. Nope. I was looking forward to my husband's visit but when he called at 5 pm, he mentioned that he was in Ritzville (by Spokane) working on his trailer with Darryl (the other jerk that took my cruise without me).  I do not begrudge my husband having a life away from me. However, as I keep telling him, I don't appreciate being purposefully left out of loop and disrespected by being left waiting for his disrespectful ass. Any questions?