Skip to main content

Wash Me

As a kid, I loved riding in the car, especially long trips; roadtrips with my grandparents were the best. On these trips, one was sure to encounter big rigs, coated in road grime, with Wash Me written with an jokester's fingertip. I am the big rig.

I'm miserable, again, and not because ALS.  It's because I'm in a managed care facility. You could say that the scrutiny is on other things, not on whether or not I get bathed. In a nutshell, I'm dirty. My skin itches and hurts. My scalp itches, burns, and hurts.

I'm supposed to get bathed three times per week, and I used to. But with the last major staff turnover, the habit, abruptly, ceased. I don't understand. I wear adult diapers and take daily bowel medications; thus I have an added need for cleaning. And I sweat. But, somehow, for some reason, I am no longer a priority. I'm an option.

They do not understand the personal cost to me when I do not get a bath or shower. I'm certain that if the searing pain, and the burning that I suffer, each week, were obvious, they would surely trundle my bare butt into that shower room, whether or not I was awake or not.

How do I make it obvious? Without a voice, I mean. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Creep

  Have you ever used the internet to look up an old flame? How about an old arch-enemy? Did you have the intention to reconnect? Me neither.

I Remember...

I remember catching fireflies,  putting them in a jar, as a girl of five. I picked pears off a tree that overhung an alleyway on my route home from school, then enjoyed the forbidden fruit. .I had a golden cat who chased a gray mouse through our living room sending my mother, 3-year old sister, and me screaming atop the sofa and chairs. We lived in a farmhouse and I watched Romper Room. A daddy longlegs skittered across my dirty kid legs as I teeter-tottered on a broken kitchen chair back. I played grocery store and laid out a bedroll for group nap time in preschool. We lived in an apartment attached to a bakery. My maternal grandparents visited and a photo was snapped. Grandma held Dawn and Grandpa held me. I held Grandpa's chin. Walking through the back of the flour-caked kitchen, I saw scrumptious pastries and colorful toys stuck in the cupcakes with my hungry kids eyes. We lived in a two-story apartment building next door to a large farmer's field.  That field was my