Skip to main content

Poor Care

I am an undesirable. I have ALS. I take up way too much caregiving time. Oh, doubtless the caregiving industry wants the dollars we generate to fill their coffers, but we are a losing proposition.

I've been in two managed care facilities now, and I can tell you stories of overpromising and underdelivering. Mismanaging, getting lost in the system, ignored call bells, not bothering to learn the disease process, and critical think solutions, train carestaff to the deficits. More than half the staff of this well-rated skilled nursing facility, could not verbalize what ALS is, I venture to say. And they are the best thing going for the ALS patient.

I've been in residence for two years now, and the caregivers that attend me day in and day out, do not grasp the concept that I am safer, from a breathing standpoint, rolled up on either side, rather than be positioned flat on my back, where I'm subjected to the weight of gravity pushing down on my chest.

For the first year, this place was a palace, in comparison to the last skilled nursing facility I lived at. As  I'm progressing (deteriorating), the gap is narrowing. I'm left for hours to languish, alone. My call bells are ignored, or responded to remotely, without checking if I'm having difficulty breathing.My bathing is a low priority. I used to enjoy bathing three times per week and have to "ride herd" on the caregivers to get in just once if the occupational therapist has a conflict. My room is dirty, especially regarding dust build up, Which affects my breathing.

Worst of all, caregivers don't have any obligation to communicate with me. They enter my room, ask what they can do for me, and when they don't understand me, they say they cannot understand me, then out they walk. No effort is made to reach for the alphanumeric communication boards hanging beside my bed, nor do they reach for my AAC device (Tobii), also beside my bed.

It must be time to die. I cannot take the neglect, the lack of dignity. It sucks to be here.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Creep

  Have you ever used the internet to look up an old flame? How about an old arch-enemy? Did you have the intention to reconnect? Me neither.

I Remember...

I remember catching fireflies,  putting them in a jar, as a girl of five. I picked pears off a tree that overhung an alleyway on my route home from school, then enjoyed the forbidden fruit. .I had a golden cat who chased a gray mouse through our living room sending my mother, 3-year old sister, and me screaming atop the sofa and chairs. We lived in a farmhouse and I watched Romper Room. A daddy longlegs skittered across my dirty kid legs as I teeter-tottered on a broken kitchen chair back. I played grocery store and laid out a bedroll for group nap time in preschool. We lived in an apartment attached to a bakery. My maternal grandparents visited and a photo was snapped. Grandma held Dawn and Grandpa held me. I held Grandpa's chin. Walking through the back of the flour-caked kitchen, I saw scrumptious pastries and colorful toys stuck in the cupcakes with my hungry kids eyes. We lived in a two-story apartment building next door to a large farmer's field.  That field was my