Skip to main content

Material Possessions

Plastic garbage bags and totes litter my floor but they don't contain trash; they contain stories of my life, in the form of clothes.

I have ALS, otherwise known as amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, motor neuron disease, or Lou Gehrig's disease. This degenerative neuro-muscular disease destroys the motor neurons, the communication system between the brain and muscles, which renders one paralyzed and breathing compromised. There is no treatment nor cure thus ALS is 100% fatal. Since I find myself in the latter portion of the disease, a quadriplegic, confined to my bed most days, I have no practical use for much of my hard-earned wardrobe.

Finally the stars aligned where I could bear the dreaded chore, and my husband was willing to transport the dozens of 30-gallon spring green totes, full of shirts, pants, robes, career-wear, sportswear, and dresses to my nursing home. (Yeah, I live in one of those! It's where one goes when one doesn't purchase long-term care insurance or isn't independently wealthy and gets hit with a catastrophic, degenerative illness such as this, AND your family can't (or won't) care for you.)

I dispassionately, and relentlessly, plowed through years of loving accumulation, as my husband held up article upon article, "Does it stay? " or a separate question "Does it go?" so I could answer with a nod or a shake of my head. (It's all I am able to do since ALS took my voice. Well, I do have a speech generating device (SGD) but that takes too long.) I say "dispassionately" but that didn't hold true for my dresses.

That cream and cocoa Hawaiian-print skirt from the family vacation of 2008 to Maui. We got a "classic" family photograph with Mom and us three girls, lined-up outside of a gourmet cheese shop in Kihei, pinching our noses and pointing to one another. The sign over our heads read, "Who Cut the Cheese?".

Who else will appreciate the smokin' red hot sequins and gold bead-trimmed sheath dress, I wore to a Clyde Hill dot com start-up party. The host crossed the room of his swank party to greet my date with a loud, "Who is this vision in red?!" I felt like a million!

My classic navy power suit that helped me land more than one good job. And my Jones New York kohl pencil skirt with double-breasted overcoat, that made me feel as if I could take on the world, whether I was working in finance at the Gates Foundation, or working on payroll for a small tax firm.

Could anyone be more in love and feel more elegant than I did when I dolled myself up, and made reservations at The Nines in Portland for my husband's 54th birthday?! I'd pared my body down to size 10 from 18, and treated myself to a sophisticated black on bone racer-sleeveless sheath dress that I paired with shiny black and bone toeless pumps. He had a very good birthday! And, consequently, so did I!

That outfit was the hardest to say good-bye to, but my hope is that it will mean much to it's next owner, allowing them to make new stories.

.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kate

I think about my friend, Kate Struby, who died from this horrible disease in 2013. She lived here at Bailey Boushay House before I did. I reached out to Kate online through FaceBook because I loved her photograph with her head thrown back in laughter. I also loved her posts. I guess I just loved her spirit. I got to finally meet her one month before she died. I happened to be at the University of Washington Medical Center for my quarterly appointment when I saw her FaceBook post. She was awake and in the medical ICU. She was a mere few floors down. I would not be stopped. Relativeor no, I would meet my FaceBook friend. Thank God I did. I rolled into the room to find a beautiful, ethere.al woman flanked by two friends. Although it was an impromtu visit, she said she knew me immediately.I was in awe of her with her fiery spirit despite the ravages of our shared disease. She, unable to lift even a finger, lifted my spirit.

Gratitude For Reading

People are reading my blog! I cannot express my gratitude enough. My heart is soaring! Before I got ALS, it was a minor interest amongst many varied interests. Today, I am unable to physically participate in many of my prior interests, like motorcycling, photography, knitting and other handicrafts, hiking, traveling, painting, drawing, going to the gym, working in the garden, doing housework, canning, and cooking gourmet or ethnic foods. Therefore, I am more focused on the ones that are most accessible to me, such as reading via audiobook or e-book, television, movies, meditation, music appreciation, and writing. Like the blind man who's sense of hearing and smell is heightened, I'd like to think my crippled body has made me more attuned to things more on the spiritual and sensual level. Initially, when some members of my family read my blog, they chose to focus on what they viewed as negative. The feedback I got was harsh and personally critical. .I was told that I was ...

Disrespected, Again...

It's 10 pm, I've accomplished nothing to speak of. I watched one movi, "The One I Love", a Twilight Zone-esque story on a couple trying to reconcile. And, one television show, "Running Wild with Bear Grylles" guest starring Channing Tatum. OMG!!! And, I ate some dinner. Tonight was chicken gumbo, chili, cornbread, oatmeal cookies and ice cream. Not much of a day. Nope. I was looking forward to my husband's visit but when he called at 5 pm, he mentioned that he was in Ritzville (by Spokane) working on his trailer with Darryl (the other jerk that took my cruise without me).  I do not begrudge my husband having a life away from me. However, as I keep telling him, I don't appreciate being purposefully left out of loop and disrespected by being left waiting for his disrespectful ass. Any questions?