Skip to main content

Viva La Bailey Boushay

Tonight we had a very special evening event at Bailey Boushay House. Viva Italia--a night of opera and delicious Italian fare. It was like a night out on the town without the logistical problems associated with transporting people with disabilities.

The third floor dining room was transformed into an exclusive Italian ristorante´ resplendent in cabernet-colored linen, candlelight, plants, and sculpture. Flutes of sparkling cider caught the firelight playing on the computer monitor.

It began with several opera numbers (I'm an opera idiot and couldn't begin to offer further descriptors) and proceeded with a gorgeous Caesar salad in a baked, filigree cheese bowl. A few more operatic tunes followed by a delicious tomato basil bisque that I'd swear contained real basil, rosemary, and parmesan reggiano. More gregarious opera and then a plateful of rustic Italian favorites, manicotti, pasta Alfredo, and chicken Parmesan, asparagus, and red pepper. Mangia, mangia, mangia! Still, more wonderful opera and then...A stunning dessert course. A flute of mango sorbet surrounded by strawberry and whipped cream, and the best tiramisu I've ever had!

Our wait staff delighted us as they kept the courses coming, and the bubbly flowing over linen-draped arms. Paparazzi were in attendance, but were quite genial. Chef Daniel made the rounds and, hopefully, got the kudos he so richly deserves for such an excellent and lovely meal.

Opera-tunities surrounded us with equally delicious music, humor and dignity.

Thank you to all who organized, set-up, cooked, served, played, sang, fed, and cleaned-up. Thank you Sandra. Thank you Bailey Boushay House.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kate

I think about my friend, Kate Struby, who died from this horrible disease in 2013. She lived here at Bailey Boushay House before I did. I reached out to Kate online through FaceBook because I loved her photograph with her head thrown back in laughter. I also loved her posts. I guess I just loved her spirit. I got to finally meet her one month before she died. I happened to be at the University of Washington Medical Center for my quarterly appointment when I saw her FaceBook post. She was awake and in the medical ICU. She was a mere few floors down. I would not be stopped. Relativeor no, I would meet my FaceBook friend. Thank God I did. I rolled into the room to find a beautiful, ethere.al woman flanked by two friends. Although it was an impromtu visit, she said she knew me immediately.I was in awe of her with her fiery spirit despite the ravages of our shared disease. She, unable to lift even a finger, lifted my spirit.

Gratitude For Reading

People are reading my blog! I cannot express my gratitude enough. My heart is soaring! Before I got ALS, it was a minor interest amongst many varied interests. Today, I am unable to physically participate in many of my prior interests, like motorcycling, photography, knitting and other handicrafts, hiking, traveling, painting, drawing, going to the gym, working in the garden, doing housework, canning, and cooking gourmet or ethnic foods. Therefore, I am more focused on the ones that are most accessible to me, such as reading via audiobook or e-book, television, movies, meditation, music appreciation, and writing. Like the blind man who's sense of hearing and smell is heightened, I'd like to think my crippled body has made me more attuned to things more on the spiritual and sensual level. Initially, when some members of my family read my blog, they chose to focus on what they viewed as negative. The feedback I got was harsh and personally critical. .I was told that I was ...

Disrespected, Again...

It's 10 pm, I've accomplished nothing to speak of. I watched one movi, "The One I Love", a Twilight Zone-esque story on a couple trying to reconcile. And, one television show, "Running Wild with Bear Grylles" guest starring Channing Tatum. OMG!!! And, I ate some dinner. Tonight was chicken gumbo, chili, cornbread, oatmeal cookies and ice cream. Not much of a day. Nope. I was looking forward to my husband's visit but when he called at 5 pm, he mentioned that he was in Ritzville (by Spokane) working on his trailer with Darryl (the other jerk that took my cruise without me).  I do not begrudge my husband having a life away from me. However, as I keep telling him, I don't appreciate being purposefully left out of loop and disrespected by being left waiting for his disrespectful ass. Any questions?