Skip to main content

Viva La Bailey Boushay

Tonight we had a very special evening event at Bailey Boushay House. Viva Italia--a night of opera and delicious Italian fare. It was like a night out on the town without the logistical problems associated with transporting people with disabilities.

The third floor dining room was transformed into an exclusive Italian ristorante´ resplendent in cabernet-colored linen, candlelight, plants, and sculpture. Flutes of sparkling cider caught the firelight playing on the computer monitor.

It began with several opera numbers (I'm an opera idiot and couldn't begin to offer further descriptors) and proceeded with a gorgeous Caesar salad in a baked, filigree cheese bowl. A few more operatic tunes followed by a delicious tomato basil bisque that I'd swear contained real basil, rosemary, and parmesan reggiano. More gregarious opera and then a plateful of rustic Italian favorites, manicotti, pasta Alfredo, and chicken Parmesan, asparagus, and red pepper. Mangia, mangia, mangia! Still, more wonderful opera and then...A stunning dessert course. A flute of mango sorbet surrounded by strawberry and whipped cream, and the best tiramisu I've ever had!

Our wait staff delighted us as they kept the courses coming, and the bubbly flowing over linen-draped arms. Paparazzi were in attendance, but were quite genial. Chef Daniel made the rounds and, hopefully, got the kudos he so richly deserves for such an excellent and lovely meal.

Opera-tunities surrounded us with equally delicious music, humor and dignity.

Thank you to all who organized, set-up, cooked, served, played, sang, fed, and cleaned-up. Thank you Sandra. Thank you Bailey Boushay House.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Creep

  Have you ever used the internet to look up an old flame? How about an old arch-enemy? Did you have the intention to reconnect? Me neither.

I Remember...

I remember catching fireflies,  putting them in a jar, as a girl of five. I picked pears off a tree that overhung an alleyway on my route home from school, then enjoyed the forbidden fruit. .I had a golden cat who chased a gray mouse through our living room sending my mother, 3-year old sister, and me screaming atop the sofa and chairs. We lived in a farmhouse and I watched Romper Room. A daddy longlegs skittered across my dirty kid legs as I teeter-tottered on a broken kitchen chair back. I played grocery store and laid out a bedroll for group nap time in preschool. We lived in an apartment attached to a bakery. My maternal grandparents visited and a photo was snapped. Grandma held Dawn and Grandpa held me. I held Grandpa's chin. Walking through the back of the flour-caked kitchen, I saw scrumptious pastries and colorful toys stuck in the cupcakes with my hungry kids eyes. We lived in a two-story apartment building next door to a large farmer's field.  That field was my