Skip to main content

1500 Pieces

2I reluctantly, very reluctantly, awoke from a very tactile memory dream. I had a card table set up in the living room, upon it, a partially worked jigsaw puzzle, a 1500-piece monstrosity. All the pieces were turned right-side up and separate sections were assembled, like little rafts or islands ready to be connected up with the mainland.

Like days gone past, I'd scan the table for certain color combinations and shapes then try to fit them in.  This time, I was looking for leafless dark branches fingering out on a background of robin's egg blue sky, my favorite -- high contrast. Unlike days gone by, the kodak-color, high gloss pictured lid is not propped up on the corner of the table lending guidance. I notice the deepening shadows in the room and go for a lamp to put a little light on the subject.

The lamp is an ancient relic, a yellowed marble-patterned spike with an equally yellowed lampshade. Plugging in the thick braided cord with it's oblong yellowed plug, produced sparks and revealed fraying ends. Though I felt the bizarre pulsating, vibrating shock to my fingertips down to my foot soles, and noted the power dip as the light dimmed and returned, I set the lamp right upon the cardboard-based table.

With the illumination, I was able to see the few misplaced pieces and removed a middle piece from the straight-edged border, a mistake I never would've made, (obviously a little person or a husband was here). Also obvious, the border was incomplete, (never happened with a puzzle I worked).

I set about collecting the straight-edged pieces to work the border when I realize I am missing pieces, many pieces. I check my carpeted floor to find...Lots of pieces...And another partially completed puzzle that my daughter left out on the floor. (funny how I failed to notice that before) I look upon it with fondness, (somehow I've intuited the fleeting specialness of this memory/reality mash-up).

Anxiety kicks in as I realize my husband will arrive soon and I've got a mess on the livingroom floor. As I begin to clean up, destroy my daughter's creation, it dawns on me that she's arriving with him. Oh, what have I done?! One puzzle led to two and became six...Unfinished puzzles...And one was a custom photo puzzle of my daughter with her boyfriend (that she broke up with) but in my dream, they got back together.

Wow! Lots of insight into my psyche there!!!

I wish I could summon back my dream.  The memory of the physical sensation of touching the coated cardboard puzzle pieces was exquisite -- the sharp and rounded edges, the smooth of the photo side compared to the dull gray rougher backside. I haven't felt that feeling for years.

As for cleaning up the mess...What mess? That's my baby girl's creativity! Screw Better Homes and Gardens!!!!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kate

I think about my friend, Kate Struby, who died from this horrible disease in 2013. She lived here at Bailey Boushay House before I did. I reached out to Kate online through FaceBook because I loved her photograph with her head thrown back in laughter. I also loved her posts. I guess I just loved her spirit. I got to finally meet her one month before she died. I happened to be at the University of Washington Medical Center for my quarterly appointment when I saw her FaceBook post. She was awake and in the medical ICU. She was a mere few floors down. I would not be stopped. Relativeor no, I would meet my FaceBook friend. Thank God I did. I rolled into the room to find a beautiful, ethere.al woman flanked by two friends. Although it was an impromtu visit, she said she knew me immediately.I was in awe of her with her fiery spirit despite the ravages of our shared disease. She, unable to lift even a finger, lifted my spirit.

Disrespected, Again...

It's 10 pm, I've accomplished nothing to speak of. I watched one movi, "The One I Love", a Twilight Zone-esque story on a couple trying to reconcile. And, one television show, "Running Wild with Bear Grylles" guest starring Channing Tatum. OMG!!! And, I ate some dinner. Tonight was chicken gumbo, chili, cornbread, oatmeal cookies and ice cream. Not much of a day. Nope. I was looking forward to my husband's visit but when he called at 5 pm, he mentioned that he was in Ritzville (by Spokane) working on his trailer with Darryl (the other jerk that took my cruise without me).  I do not begrudge my husband having a life away from me. However, as I keep telling him, I don't appreciate being purposefully left out of loop and disrespected by being left waiting for his disrespectful ass. Any questions?

Gratitude For Reading

People are reading my blog! I cannot express my gratitude enough. My heart is soaring! Before I got ALS, it was a minor interest amongst many varied interests. Today, I am unable to physically participate in many of my prior interests, like motorcycling, photography, knitting and other handicrafts, hiking, traveling, painting, drawing, going to the gym, working in the garden, doing housework, canning, and cooking gourmet or ethnic foods. Therefore, I am more focused on the ones that are most accessible to me, such as reading via audiobook or e-book, television, movies, meditation, music appreciation, and writing. Like the blind man who's sense of hearing and smell is heightened, I'd like to think my crippled body has made me more attuned to things more on the spiritual and sensual level. Initially, when some members of my family read my blog, they chose to focus on what they viewed as negative. The feedback I got was harsh and personally critical. .I was told that I was ...