Skip to main content

Continual Loss

Every time I get to a place of acceptance, it seems God allows ALS to take that away as well.

When I lost my job, I had to learn that a job did not define me. I said, Okay, if I cannot work here, then I will redouble my efforts to get to the bottom of my infirmity, heal, then get a better job.
I got my ALS diagnosis. I grieved the loss of my life as I once knew it. I said, If I'm to lose control over my muscles, I will get my affairs in order; I will sell my motorcycle and my car and purchase a wheelchair van. We will build ramps onto the house, widen the doors, add a door to the bedroom, and add a roll-in shower. As long as I can assure my mobility, I can deal.   

When I got a whopping dose of frontotemporal disease, as a byproduct of ALS, the combination of wildly fluctuating emotions and increasing caregiving needs, my husband became overwhelmed and tapped-out, abandoning me and forcing me into a nursing facility. My family withdrew. I thought, I cannot do this! Eventually, I accepted my circumstance, thinking, As long as I have this private room overlooking the lake, I can bear my incarceration. 

After three months, my husband returned to be a peripheral part of my experience. My family trickled back to visit sporadically.  The care was marginal, the food barely edible, and the atmosphere oppressive. My private room became a shared room overlooking the parking lot and I didn't get a window. I was, alternately, depressed and accepting. I continued to deteriorate. I thought, At least I have my husband, my daughter, and a core group of friends to visit. 

A respiratory issue nearly claimed my life and took me to the hospital. Despite a stay in the intensive care unit, it was preferable to the home. I thought, My trust has been abused! Please God, find me a decent final home... 

Prayer answered. I landed in a first class care facility. Care, food, activities, attitudes, atmosphere, everything improved. I thought, Thank you God, I can deal with the remainder of my life. 

I continue to lose abilities, but the degree of love and caring coupled with my own room, make the progression toward the inevitable...tolerable. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Creep

  Have you ever used the internet to look up an old flame? How about an old arch-enemy? Did you have the intention to reconnect? Me neither.

I Remember...

I remember catching fireflies,  putting them in a jar, as a girl of five. I picked pears off a tree that overhung an alleyway on my route home from school, then enjoyed the forbidden fruit. .I had a golden cat who chased a gray mouse through our living room sending my mother, 3-year old sister, and me screaming atop the sofa and chairs. We lived in a farmhouse and I watched Romper Room. A daddy longlegs skittered across my dirty kid legs as I teeter-tottered on a broken kitchen chair back. I played grocery store and laid out a bedroll for group nap time in preschool. We lived in an apartment attached to a bakery. My maternal grandparents visited and a photo was snapped. Grandma held Dawn and Grandpa held me. I held Grandpa's chin. Walking through the back of the flour-caked kitchen, I saw scrumptious pastries and colorful toys stuck in the cupcakes with my hungry kids eyes. We lived in a two-story apartment building next door to a large farmer's field.  That field was my