Skip to main content

Niece

My niece came by the nursing home to visit me. What an honor!

That may seem like an odd thing to say but I have a reason for my gratitude. I believe that I held my husband's family at arm's length unfairly. I loved my husband fiercely and selfishly, to the exclusion of others (with the exception of my daughter).  I also judged them as dysfunctional, like my own brand of dysfunction was somehow better. The devil you know...

Anyway, the veil has been lifted.  I have new eyes and a renewed heart. I've known this beautiful young woman since she was five or six. This little blonde, active, smiling imp bounced around when her father had custody. Accompanied by her hyperactive, "tough" of a brother, always picking on her and acting up. Made it difficult to watch and be around. Allergies or some undiagnosed respiratory issue left her with a perpetual snot nose and a bitter, jealous mother, freshly-divorced, pulling custody and child support stunts made it difficult to get close to either child, subconsciously thinking they could be pulled away. Ah, hindsight!

I wonder if you remember teaching your uncle Rod to hula in Steilecoom Park when we rode motorcycles to see Aunt Liz.  That was hysterical to see a tiny little blondie hold leather-clad bikers in her thrall, arms flowing to the left then to the right while you coached them to wiggle their hips. (Flink men have no hips) How about playing in the snow in the mountains? Huckleberry picking? Hiking the Grove of the Patriarchs in Mt. Rainier National Park?I wonder if you ever knit since I took you to knitting circle?? Time flies.

The gorgeous woman who visited me with her father, brought me a gift so incredibly precious and true, Herself. A strong, energetic, intelligent, thoughtful, capable, resilient being poised to launch into the next chapter of her life . Hope. She brought me hope for a better generation. Love. She brought me gentle, unconditional love. I'm so proud of her!  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kate

I think about my friend, Kate Struby, who died from this horrible disease in 2013. She lived here at Bailey Boushay House before I did. I reached out to Kate online through FaceBook because I loved her photograph with her head thrown back in laughter. I also loved her posts. I guess I just loved her spirit. I got to finally meet her one month before she died. I happened to be at the University of Washington Medical Center for my quarterly appointment when I saw her FaceBook post. She was awake and in the medical ICU. She was a mere few floors down. I would not be stopped. Relativeor no, I would meet my FaceBook friend. Thank God I did. I rolled into the room to find a beautiful, ethere.al woman flanked by two friends. Although it was an impromtu visit, she said she knew me immediately.I was in awe of her with her fiery spirit despite the ravages of our shared disease. She, unable to lift even a finger, lifted my spirit.

Disrespected, Again...

It's 10 pm, I've accomplished nothing to speak of. I watched one movi, "The One I Love", a Twilight Zone-esque story on a couple trying to reconcile. And, one television show, "Running Wild with Bear Grylles" guest starring Channing Tatum. OMG!!! And, I ate some dinner. Tonight was chicken gumbo, chili, cornbread, oatmeal cookies and ice cream. Not much of a day. Nope. I was looking forward to my husband's visit but when he called at 5 pm, he mentioned that he was in Ritzville (by Spokane) working on his trailer with Darryl (the other jerk that took my cruise without me).  I do not begrudge my husband having a life away from me. However, as I keep telling him, I don't appreciate being purposefully left out of loop and disrespected by being left waiting for his disrespectful ass. Any questions?

Gratitude For Reading

People are reading my blog! I cannot express my gratitude enough. My heart is soaring! Before I got ALS, it was a minor interest amongst many varied interests. Today, I am unable to physically participate in many of my prior interests, like motorcycling, photography, knitting and other handicrafts, hiking, traveling, painting, drawing, going to the gym, working in the garden, doing housework, canning, and cooking gourmet or ethnic foods. Therefore, I am more focused on the ones that are most accessible to me, such as reading via audiobook or e-book, television, movies, meditation, music appreciation, and writing. Like the blind man who's sense of hearing and smell is heightened, I'd like to think my crippled body has made me more attuned to things more on the spiritual and sensual level. Initially, when some members of my family read my blog, they chose to focus on what they viewed as negative. The feedback I got was harsh and personally critical. .I was told that I was ...