Skip to main content

Niece

My niece came by the nursing home to visit me. What an honor!

That may seem like an odd thing to say but I have a reason for my gratitude. I believe that I held my husband's family at arm's length unfairly. I loved my husband fiercely and selfishly, to the exclusion of others (with the exception of my daughter).  I also judged them as dysfunctional, like my own brand of dysfunction was somehow better. The devil you know...

Anyway, the veil has been lifted.  I have new eyes and a renewed heart. I've known this beautiful young woman since she was five or six. This little blonde, active, smiling imp bounced around when her father had custody. Accompanied by her hyperactive, "tough" of a brother, always picking on her and acting up. Made it difficult to watch and be around. Allergies or some undiagnosed respiratory issue left her with a perpetual snot nose and a bitter, jealous mother, freshly-divorced, pulling custody and child support stunts made it difficult to get close to either child, subconsciously thinking they could be pulled away. Ah, hindsight!

I wonder if you remember teaching your uncle Rod to hula in Steilecoom Park when we rode motorcycles to see Aunt Liz.  That was hysterical to see a tiny little blondie hold leather-clad bikers in her thrall, arms flowing to the left then to the right while you coached them to wiggle their hips. (Flink men have no hips) How about playing in the snow in the mountains? Huckleberry picking? Hiking the Grove of the Patriarchs in Mt. Rainier National Park?I wonder if you ever knit since I took you to knitting circle?? Time flies.

The gorgeous woman who visited me with her father, brought me a gift so incredibly precious and true, Herself. A strong, energetic, intelligent, thoughtful, capable, resilient being poised to launch into the next chapter of her life . Hope. She brought me hope for a better generation. Love. She brought me gentle, unconditional love. I'm so proud of her!  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Creep

  Have you ever used the internet to look up an old flame? How about an old arch-enemy? Did you have the intention to reconnect? Me neither.

I Remember...

I remember catching fireflies,  putting them in a jar, as a girl of five. I picked pears off a tree that overhung an alleyway on my route home from school, then enjoyed the forbidden fruit. .I had a golden cat who chased a gray mouse through our living room sending my mother, 3-year old sister, and me screaming atop the sofa and chairs. We lived in a farmhouse and I watched Romper Room. A daddy longlegs skittered across my dirty kid legs as I teeter-tottered on a broken kitchen chair back. I played grocery store and laid out a bedroll for group nap time in preschool. We lived in an apartment attached to a bakery. My maternal grandparents visited and a photo was snapped. Grandma held Dawn and Grandpa held me. I held Grandpa's chin. Walking through the back of the flour-caked kitchen, I saw scrumptious pastries and colorful toys stuck in the cupcakes with my hungry kids eyes. We lived in a two-story apartment building next door to a large farmer's field.  That field was my