Skip to main content

Sweet Smell of Success

Pleasantly surprised today, a nurse relayed a message from the Director of Nursing, a change is coming.

The other night, a patient care technician (PCT) sprayed a heavy duty air freshener down the hallway...nearly suffocating me. Unfortunately, it was not the first time. I have ALS, amyotrophic lateral  sclerosis, a neurological degenerative disease which has progressed far enough that it has impacted my breathing. Furthermore, I am a quadriplegic, meaning all four of my limbs are paralyzed, and unable to speak intelligibly.

I live in a skilled nursing facility, also known as a sniff (SNF). I rely 100% on caregivers to attend to my every need. Imagine my dilemma, I have approximately 10% Forced vital capacity (FVC), Meaning that is all the air that I can breathe, compared to the 110% that I started with. Now, I'm contending with toxic pollutants invading my hospice room. Insult to injury, I cannot escape nor can I tell anybody to close the door and open a window. I'm desperately trying to use my eye gaze-operated speech generating device, to communicate to the first caregiver that answers the call bell. My lungs are burning; I can hardly breathe. I can taste it, now.

I'm so incensed by the senseless, potentially life-threatening nature of this situation, I fire off an email to the boss. Uh oh! Tired, threatening emails sent in the heat of the moment, take a whole other meaning 24 hours later; What did I do?

Apparently, my complaint highlighted a problem, whose time has come. The facility will get a whole new way to deal with odors, an ionizer.

I just wish I was not such a b**ch!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Creep

  Have you ever used the internet to look up an old flame? How about an old arch-enemy? Did you have the intention to reconnect? Me neither.

I Remember...

I remember catching fireflies,  putting them in a jar, as a girl of five. I picked pears off a tree that overhung an alleyway on my route home from school, then enjoyed the forbidden fruit. .I had a golden cat who chased a gray mouse through our living room sending my mother, 3-year old sister, and me screaming atop the sofa and chairs. We lived in a farmhouse and I watched Romper Room. A daddy longlegs skittered across my dirty kid legs as I teeter-tottered on a broken kitchen chair back. I played grocery store and laid out a bedroll for group nap time in preschool. We lived in an apartment attached to a bakery. My maternal grandparents visited and a photo was snapped. Grandma held Dawn and Grandpa held me. I held Grandpa's chin. Walking through the back of the flour-caked kitchen, I saw scrumptious pastries and colorful toys stuck in the cupcakes with my hungry kids eyes. We lived in a two-story apartment building next door to a large farmer's field.  That field was my