Skip to main content

Maui Bound

24I have a dear friend heading out to Maui for the first time next week. Since I've been there before (4 times), I've got a few suggestions of things to do and eats. Note: I've always been budget minded but I have always, always, always had fun!

First, I have always rented a car; Getting from the airport to the hotels, beaches, and tourist areas requires travel. Plus, the road to Hana must be driven and takes a full day. The road to Hana is challenging, pack your patience and FOOD, opt for full insurance on your rental car, and leave early!!! Worthwhile for photo opportunities. Do not even consider the shortcut, it is not worth the risk of death or stranding. Stop early along the way for the best banana bread of your life. Anywhere, but especially at Aunt Sandy's on the Ke'anae Peninsula. Buy Fruit at the fruit stands along the way. Bananas are amazing, try to locate a fuzzy red fruit called Rambutan, for a unique taste treat. Check out http://www.mauiinformationguide.com/road-to-hana.php101 To get an idea of what to expect on this treacherous highway.

From the airport, stop at Da Kitchen, in Kahului, for good, local eats. I recommend Kalua Pork, but the Loco Moco comes highly recommended as well. On the way to your hotel, or on your way to the airport, Maui Tropical Plantation for a self-directed walk. Download the app at http://www.mauitropicalplantation.com/tropical-grounds/102 I wouldn't recommend the Tram Tour unless you are into real touristy activities. Lots of photo opportunities for flower and plant close-ups, Also good backdrops for family photography.

Book a luau before you go, if possible. The best is Old Lahaina Luau for traditional hula and feast, $120/person. http://www.oldlahainaluau.com103

Try snorkeling! Rent equipment at Boss Frogs. http://www.bossfrogs.com 104$9/day or $27/week. They have maps. Don't Worry Be Happy.

Hawaiian Shaved Ice is a wonderful taste treat, in hindsight, I wish I would have had a new flavor every single day.  One of my favorite restaurants on Maui is Aloha Mixed Plate for Lau Lau, Shoyu Chicken, Kalbi Ribs, Loco Moco, and Haupia (coconut pudding dessert). The New York Times says Paper plate with a million dollar view. This is accurate.

I don't know if you have ever had Poke´, but you simply must! Have you ever tried cerviche´? The seafood is "cooked" by citrus juices. Same concept. It can be expensive, but I got a tip from a Hawaiian native in an AA meeting, go to Longs Drug store in Kihei. In the back of the store, the locals choose from a wide variety of flavors, at very reasonable prices. I've never had better.

Take in a sunrise on top of the world Haleakala National Park. But, take a parka, or every blanket in your hotel. Though it be 80-degrees on the beach, Haleakala will likely have frost along the roadway. Look for the NeNe birds, and discover the Silver Sword. http://www.nps.gov/hale/

On the way back down the mountain, stop off at the Kula Lodge for breakfast, and a stroll around the grounds. Fantastic tiered back seating area with lots of photo opportunities, plants, flowers, and unique brickwork. http://www.kulalodge.com

Back to the Road to Hana. For your death-defying road trip, you will encounter gorgeous scenery, bamboo forests, waterfalls, jungle, roadside fruit stands, Mongoose, lava formations, a state park, a national park, and wind. Look for obscene-looking banana plants growing wild but don't pick. It's kapu.(Forbidden).

We travel to the end of our road trip first, then work our way back. One major stop is Haleakala National Park (the backside) which contains Ohe´o Gulch. My Grandparents knew this site as the Seven Sacred Pools. However, there are more than seven and all of Maui is considered sacred. You won't see Haleakala this way. You will see amazing views of a rugged coastline with a short, easy hike. Check in with the rangers for trail conditions. I landed on my butt, wearing white capris, on my last trip to see the Gulch. (Worth it!)

A little further down the road is supposedly the grave of Lindberg. I never found it. 

If you're headed back, look forward to walking a black lava sand beach at Waianapanapa State Park. Your mission, should you choose it, take the brand new walkway, with stainless steel handrails, down to the black sand beach, find the cave, enjoy the feeling of accomplishment. If you opted out, stay topside and relish the view. Look for turtle swimming in this cove, if you can tear yourself away from the mongooses, (mongeese?). Enjoy your time on the road to Hana, but keep in mind the traffic jam of tourists heading back, you do not want to be on this road at night.

Aloha oi.

Tina Flink

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Creep

  Have you ever used the internet to look up an old flame? How about an old arch-enemy? Did you have the intention to reconnect? Me neither.

I Remember...

I remember catching fireflies,  putting them in a jar, as a girl of five. I picked pears off a tree that overhung an alleyway on my route home from school, then enjoyed the forbidden fruit. .I had a golden cat who chased a gray mouse through our living room sending my mother, 3-year old sister, and me screaming atop the sofa and chairs. We lived in a farmhouse and I watched Romper Room. A daddy longlegs skittered across my dirty kid legs as I teeter-tottered on a broken kitchen chair back. I played grocery store and laid out a bedroll for group nap time in preschool. We lived in an apartment attached to a bakery. My maternal grandparents visited and a photo was snapped. Grandma held Dawn and Grandpa held me. I held Grandpa's chin. Walking through the back of the flour-caked kitchen, I saw scrumptious pastries and colorful toys stuck in the cupcakes with my hungry kids eyes. We lived in a two-story apartment building next door to a large farmer's field.  That field was my