Skip to main content

Purge

I continue hemorrhaging people. Stephanie, my Stephanie, has given notice of her intention to end her employment. Thankfully, she gave me notice as well. Tears were shed. I totally get that she must do the right thing for her life. Her Baby Girl deserves to have her mama at home on holidays. I will miss the love and her art on the graduated pitchers.

I'm not gonna lie, it's hard to lose good people. People who are there, the ones that actually care. The ones who hug and kiss me (with permission) when I cry. The ones I laugh uproariously with; the ones who tell me off-color jokes and don't mind their language.

Seems like only yesterday that I lost Meredith to Magic Mike, marriage, and the midwest, nevermore to hear her sound effects while rolling me over in bed. Lisa also went home to the midwest. Don't they understand snow and tornados?! At least my sweet Sophie moved to California. I see much traffic and smog in her future. Man, she's gonna be a great nurse.

Asma, Sarah, and Lindsey moved on to a real hospital. I miss them real much. Jackie, incomparable Jackie. I mourn the loss of one of my greatest champions. She trained caregivers how to care for people with ALS. She sailed off for better harbors. Brittney moved to pursue nursing school, as so many do.

Hassan moved on but I remember him still so fondly. It was a sad day when Kelly left. She has some mad skills and saved me one night, when my peg tube pulled out of my chest. She was so calming and intuitive.

Then there were the James´, one was a nurse, the other, a patient care technician, both were gloriously gay and sweet, thoughtful caregivers. PCT James rocked some awesome ink and once stroked my hair to calm me following a traumatic event.

Kayci moved on to another real hospital. At least she is out there to tell another unsuspecting patient that it's her first day. I'll never forget that I believed her.

There is only one problem with publishing my caregiver gratitude list...  Forgetting someone who was special to me. Mea culpa, if your name isn't here. Faulty memory. Thank you for becoming a part of my heart.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Creep

  Have you ever used the internet to look up an old flame? How about an old arch-enemy? Did you have the intention to reconnect? Me neither.

I Remember...

I remember catching fireflies,  putting them in a jar, as a girl of five. I picked pears off a tree that overhung an alleyway on my route home from school, then enjoyed the forbidden fruit. .I had a golden cat who chased a gray mouse through our living room sending my mother, 3-year old sister, and me screaming atop the sofa and chairs. We lived in a farmhouse and I watched Romper Room. A daddy longlegs skittered across my dirty kid legs as I teeter-tottered on a broken kitchen chair back. I played grocery store and laid out a bedroll for group nap time in preschool. We lived in an apartment attached to a bakery. My maternal grandparents visited and a photo was snapped. Grandma held Dawn and Grandpa held me. I held Grandpa's chin. Walking through the back of the flour-caked kitchen, I saw scrumptious pastries and colorful toys stuck in the cupcakes with my hungry kids eyes. We lived in a two-story apartment building next door to a large farmer's field.  That field was my