Skip to main content

Potted Plant Sleeve

276
77
What can I say? Apparently a designer lurks within my heart. Every once in awhile I get an overwhelming urge to make something without following a pattern. The yarn just screams to be worked into a specific shape for a specific purpose. I was sitting there minding my own business, contentedly following someone else's pattern when the feeling could not be ignored a moment longer. I dropped my knitting WIP (work-in-progress) and picked up my crochet hook and a wad of leftover yarn that my mother had given me then rooted through my own stash of leftovers to come up with this soothing combination that goes very well in my own living room. Since I liked it, I thought I should write up the pattern. No sense squandering divine inspiration by hoarding it all to myself. The pattern follows:

Potted Plant Sleeve
By Tina Flink
Sleeve Using base color. Ch 50, join with sl st in first ch. Round 1: Chain 3 (this is the first dc), dc all around, adding one dc into bottom of ch 3 and join to top of ch 3 with sl st. Round 2 - 11: Repeat round 2, adding 1 dc per row for next 9 rows. Round 12: Ch 3 (this is the first dc), dc into the next 12 then add a dc into same stitch, continue around. Rnd 13 - 15: Work dc around, adding one dc into bottom of ch 3, joining to top of ch 3 with sl st for next 3 rounds. Fasten off.

Motif Instructions Using lavender-hued yarn. Ch 5 and join with sl st in first ch. Rnd 1: Ch 3 (counts as first dc), 2 dc in ring, ch 2 (3 dc, ch 2) 3 times in ring, sl st in third ch of turning ch to join. Fasten off. Rnd 2: Join sage-hued yarn to first ch-2 space, ch 3 (2 dc, ch 2, 3 dc) in same ch-2 space, ch 1, sk next dc, bobble in next dc, ch 1, (3 dc, ch 2, 3 dc) in next ch-2 space, ch 1, sk next dc, bobble in next dc, ch 1; rep from around, sl st in third ch to join. Fasten off. Rnd 3: Join base color yarn to first ch-2 space, ch 3, (2 dc, ch 2, 3 dc) in same ch-2 space, ch 1, (bobble, ch 1) in each of next 2 ch-1 spaces, (3 dc, ch 2, 3 dc) in next ch-2 space, ch 1, (bobble, ch 1) in each of next 2 ch-1 spaces; rep from around, sl st in third ch of join. Work in all the threads and attach to the pot sleeve. (I attached the motif using a curved needle while the sleeve was on the pot to get perfect positioning and to prevent pucker.) Enjoy!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Creep

  Have you ever used the internet to look up an old flame? How about an old arch-enemy? Did you have the intention to reconnect? Me neither.

I Remember...

I remember catching fireflies,  putting them in a jar, as a girl of five. I picked pears off a tree that overhung an alleyway on my route home from school, then enjoyed the forbidden fruit. .I had a golden cat who chased a gray mouse through our living room sending my mother, 3-year old sister, and me screaming atop the sofa and chairs. We lived in a farmhouse and I watched Romper Room. A daddy longlegs skittered across my dirty kid legs as I teeter-tottered on a broken kitchen chair back. I played grocery store and laid out a bedroll for group nap time in preschool. We lived in an apartment attached to a bakery. My maternal grandparents visited and a photo was snapped. Grandma held Dawn and Grandpa held me. I held Grandpa's chin. Walking through the back of the flour-caked kitchen, I saw scrumptious pastries and colorful toys stuck in the cupcakes with my hungry kids eyes. We lived in a two-story apartment building next door to a large farmer's field.  That field was my