Skip to main content

The Alter-Easter



Easter Sunday dinner was at my house. We had two new faces in our crowd. My sister, Renee' appears to have a new beau (Dan) and my brother's girlfriend brought her grown daughter (Raena). It was great. We had a new audience for all the old shtick. Mom got to tell (some) of the embarrassing stories that she loves to embellish upon year after year and I got new victims (er, friends) to cook for.

This year, through the wonders of the internet, I learned to cook my ham in the crock pot. Also new to my Easter repertoire is fresh baked cherry pies with Vienna vanilla ice cream on top AND chocolate-dipped strawberries. I also took the opportunity to use some very old china formerly owned by my former-mother-in-law (which will be passed down to my daughter).

Kind of an odd holiday without the presence of small children to decorate for and put together imaginative Easter baskets. I didn't put up any tacky decorations save for the Easter Lily Rod bought for me and the tulips growing out in my yard. I even resisted the huge urge I had to go out and buy new cloth napkins and place mats to accommodate a party of 10.

All in all, this was a pretty down-to-Earth affair for us. Although I get pretty amped-up with de-cluttering, cleaning, cooking, and re-arranging furniture. God help those that are nearest to me that decide they don't have to pitch in to help with the effort (as my loving husband found out...again.)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Creep

  Have you ever used the internet to look up an old flame? How about an old arch-enemy? Did you have the intention to reconnect? Me neither.

I Remember...

I remember catching fireflies,  putting them in a jar, as a girl of five. I picked pears off a tree that overhung an alleyway on my route home from school, then enjoyed the forbidden fruit. .I had a golden cat who chased a gray mouse through our living room sending my mother, 3-year old sister, and me screaming atop the sofa and chairs. We lived in a farmhouse and I watched Romper Room. A daddy longlegs skittered across my dirty kid legs as I teeter-tottered on a broken kitchen chair back. I played grocery store and laid out a bedroll for group nap time in preschool. We lived in an apartment attached to a bakery. My maternal grandparents visited and a photo was snapped. Grandma held Dawn and Grandpa held me. I held Grandpa's chin. Walking through the back of the flour-caked kitchen, I saw scrumptious pastries and colorful toys stuck in the cupcakes with my hungry kids eyes. We lived in a two-story apartment building next door to a large farmer's field.  That field was my