Skip to main content

A Slip of the Back

My back is out...big time. I hurt completely around my torso, when I move and when I sit still. Last night when I felt my back "go", I was walking around a chair on my way to unplug a light, no twisting, no lifting. I just felt a quick and steady pain that increased to the point that my knees buckled slowly bringing me to a position on my hands and knees with no slack in pain. Every movement brought intense pain and though it was excruciating to remain immobile on my hands and knees, I instinctively knew that I needed to remain in that very position lest I not be able to get back up. I swore that I could feel my stomach and my ovaries and pain radiated from them as well.

I tried to control my breathing though I was exhaling and inhaling through gritted teeth making loud sheeshing sounds. Since it was late and I was on my way to bed anyway, I crawled from the livingroom to the bedroom, loudly breathing and whimpering, while my husband brought a couple of Ibuprofen. My small controlled movements zinged bright bolts of pain through my body and my progress was slow. Balancing on three limbs took rapt concentration while I lifted pills to my mouth. Drinking water was but a slurp since tilted my head back was not really an option.

I learned the true condition of my carpet as I made my way to bed. Though it had been vacumned recently, it was in dire need of a cleaning and I learned that in the future I would definitely buy the upgraded carpet padding. A little more cushion would have made it more attractive not to climb up to my bed. My cat remained out of the way, near her food dish, as she watched my progress.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Creep

  Have you ever used the internet to look up an old flame? How about an old arch-enemy? Did you have the intention to reconnect? Me neither.

I Remember...

I remember catching fireflies,  putting them in a jar, as a girl of five. I picked pears off a tree that overhung an alleyway on my route home from school, then enjoyed the forbidden fruit. .I had a golden cat who chased a gray mouse through our living room sending my mother, 3-year old sister, and me screaming atop the sofa and chairs. We lived in a farmhouse and I watched Romper Room. A daddy longlegs skittered across my dirty kid legs as I teeter-tottered on a broken kitchen chair back. I played grocery store and laid out a bedroll for group nap time in preschool. We lived in an apartment attached to a bakery. My maternal grandparents visited and a photo was snapped. Grandma held Dawn and Grandpa held me. I held Grandpa's chin. Walking through the back of the flour-caked kitchen, I saw scrumptious pastries and colorful toys stuck in the cupcakes with my hungry kids eyes. We lived in a two-story apartment building next door to a large farmer's field.  That field was my