Skip to main content

Art (Television) Imitates Life

I watched one of my guilty pleasures, Grey's Anatomy, on my iPad last night.  (SPOILER ALERT!!!)  In this episode, "Transplant Wasteland", the doctors of the fictional Seattle Grace Mercy West were dealing with several patients who were either needing organ donations or prepared to give organ donations.  Naturally, I was most drawn into the drama involving Dr. April Kepner, played by Sarah Drew, who is appalled when one of her patients living with ALS decides to refuse further treatment and tells her that he wishes to do a DCD, donation after cardiac death, as he wishes to disconnect from the ventilator.  He mischievously welcomes her to his "funeral".  Kepner attempts to talk the trached and vented PALS, Brad Parker, out of his decision by offering alternatives, which are flatly refused, then counsels him that he is depressed, which he denies.  Finally, he tells her that he did not include her in his decision because he "didn't want to waste any of his precious time" explaining his decision and unceremoniously fires her.

This was difficult subject matter for sure!  Death, dying, quality of life, higher purpose, the ultimate, inexorable certainty of the fatal nature of ALS, as well as my close proximity.  It was tempting to turn it off but I have approached my disease with the attitude that I will keep my eyes wide open.  No hiding from the truth.  If I hurt, I cry, and sometimes I sob, but there will be no hiding from the truth.  I get to deal with the minutae of this disease unmedicated and present for the "ride" as long as it takes.  Additionally, I get the opportunity to be "of service" to others in my predicament.  If I was mired in grief, I would miss out on so much of the sweetness of life.  Sure, some of it is bittersweet but that is my privilege to be in the present and in the NOW.

Kepner comes around in the end with a list of people who will receive each of Brad's organs with vignettes of how their lives will be so positively impacted by his selfless gift of life.  Brad is moved that his doctor finally gets it and ultimately it helps his already-supportive parents as well.  They dramatize Brad being disconnected from the vent and passing a peaceful death but his grief-stricken mother can't let go. They must harvest the organs within 5 minutes to fulfill Brad's wishes and meet this higher purpose but how can they tear the son from the grieving mother?  Whew!  Powerful emotions there!

ALS affects so many!  Not just the patient but also the mother, father, spouse, sons, daughters, siblings, extended family, friends, coworkers, neighbors, acquaintances.  Nobody's life remains the same.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Creep

  Have you ever used the internet to look up an old flame? How about an old arch-enemy? Did you have the intention to reconnect? Me neither.

I Remember...

I remember catching fireflies,  putting them in a jar, as a girl of five. I picked pears off a tree that overhung an alleyway on my route home from school, then enjoyed the forbidden fruit. .I had a golden cat who chased a gray mouse through our living room sending my mother, 3-year old sister, and me screaming atop the sofa and chairs. We lived in a farmhouse and I watched Romper Room. A daddy longlegs skittered across my dirty kid legs as I teeter-tottered on a broken kitchen chair back. I played grocery store and laid out a bedroll for group nap time in preschool. We lived in an apartment attached to a bakery. My maternal grandparents visited and a photo was snapped. Grandma held Dawn and Grandpa held me. I held Grandpa's chin. Walking through the back of the flour-caked kitchen, I saw scrumptious pastries and colorful toys stuck in the cupcakes with my hungry kids eyes. We lived in a two-story apartment building next door to a large farmer's field.  That field was my