Skip to main content

I Believe in Massage!

I have been fortunate enough to have had massage therapy many times throughout my adult life and I have had no doubt about the positive impact it makes upon the human body, particularly my human body.  I've had relaxation massage as well as treatment massage and many sub-specialties under each of these.  Relaxation massages were Swedish, Shiatsu, and hot stone massage.  These were wonderful and soothing experiences that gave me a sense of well-being and peace.  I was lucky enough to work in a chiropractic office that engaged the services of a licensed massage practitioner that was just starting out.  As any new professional, she would have lulls where she'd get me up on the table to practice her technique.  I was luckier still that she would mix her own lotions with essential oil concoctions using these and soft music to deepen relaxation.  I will never forget those delicious times.

I have also been unlucky enough to have been in a few car accidents, but lucky enough to have survived them without trips to the hospital.  As you may or may not know, the human body still suffers trauma to the soft tissue, musculature, and the bones even if there is no major outward evidence.  It was massage (and chiropractic) that got me mobile after developing debilitating vertigo post-car accident back in 1999.  I also had a painful bout of plantar fasciaitis following an intense "charlie horse" in 2009.  After 8 months of excruciating pain and hobbling about (and depression due to my "clipped wings") I learned of a local massage therapist who "specialized" in ridding his patients of this condition.  After a few weeks, it was relieved.

Naturally, I wondered how massage would work on an ALS patient.  Would it wear out my muscles prematurely or would it relieve my poor, tired muscles overworked from misfiring nerves?  I am pleased to say...so far, so good.  I am getting great results.  My muscles were becoming spastic and limiting my movement and motion.  Massage is bringing my muscles back to supple including fingers, toes, calves, hams, quads...you name it.  If she works on it, it improves but it is not without a little pain.  Thankfully not much pain.  Not nearly as painful as those nasty charlie horses!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Creep

  Have you ever used the internet to look up an old flame? How about an old arch-enemy? Did you have the intention to reconnect? Me neither.

I Remember...

I remember catching fireflies,  putting them in a jar, as a girl of five. I picked pears off a tree that overhung an alleyway on my route home from school, then enjoyed the forbidden fruit. .I had a golden cat who chased a gray mouse through our living room sending my mother, 3-year old sister, and me screaming atop the sofa and chairs. We lived in a farmhouse and I watched Romper Room. A daddy longlegs skittered across my dirty kid legs as I teeter-tottered on a broken kitchen chair back. I played grocery store and laid out a bedroll for group nap time in preschool. We lived in an apartment attached to a bakery. My maternal grandparents visited and a photo was snapped. Grandma held Dawn and Grandpa held me. I held Grandpa's chin. Walking through the back of the flour-caked kitchen, I saw scrumptious pastries and colorful toys stuck in the cupcakes with my hungry kids eyes. We lived in a two-story apartment building next door to a large farmer's field.  That field was my