Skip to main content

First Wheelchair Outing - ABATE Swap Meet

The sun broke through as we wound down back country roads of rural western Washington.  Called my 87-year old uncle to catch up on the past month as my husband drove us (in the Subaru) to the Abate Swap Meet in Monroe, Washington.  Two birds...one stone.  I got to learn all about his seven children and bunches of grandchildren.  All of whom I've never met, including my uncle.  Another blessing of my ALS diagnosis...I guess people want to meet me before it's too late.

This was my first public motorcycle event since my diagnosis.  I figured that I'd be in too much emotional pain over not being able to ride a motorcycle anymore.  Fortunately, it wasn't so bad.  We had an agenda, I'm selling my 2006 Harley Davidson Softail Deluxe and I had flyers to deliver as well as family and friends to socialize with.  My brother and sister-in-law are very active in the motorcycle community and we have mutual friends.  This was also my first outing using a manual wheelchair...kind of a weird first experience.  Normally I'd arrive astride my own bike to such events, balancing perfectly even at low speeds, and a woman on her own motorcycle always manages to turn heads.  I noticed that I still turn heads but they turn away for the most part.  Kind of a shame, I'm a smiler and a friendly person.  Always have been.

We finally found the booth manned by my husband's brother, his wife, and a few friends.  And despite the shock of seeing me in the wheelchair, it was so refreshing to have people smile, greet me, and bend down to hug me.  I started to cry when the first person asked how I was doing, how was I REALLY doing.  I recovered quick enough to save my eye make-up, always a bonus as it is so difficult to put it on in the first place.  We had a good long visit amid the throngs of leather-clad bikers searching for deals.  One of their friends, failed to recognize me and we got to talk like new acquaintances again.  That is really good because he was rude last year and I told him off.  A poor memory on other people is sometimes a beautiful thing.  He was quite charming.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kate

I think about my friend, Kate Struby, who died from this horrible disease in 2013. She lived here at Bailey Boushay House before I did. I reached out to Kate online through FaceBook because I loved her photograph with her head thrown back in laughter. I also loved her posts. I guess I just loved her spirit. I got to finally meet her one month before she died. I happened to be at the University of Washington Medical Center for my quarterly appointment when I saw her FaceBook post. She was awake and in the medical ICU. She was a mere few floors down. I would not be stopped. Relativeor no, I would meet my FaceBook friend. Thank God I did. I rolled into the room to find a beautiful, ethere.al woman flanked by two friends. Although it was an impromtu visit, she said she knew me immediately.I was in awe of her with her fiery spirit despite the ravages of our shared disease. She, unable to lift even a finger, lifted my spirit.

Disrespected, Again...

It's 10 pm, I've accomplished nothing to speak of. I watched one movi, "The One I Love", a Twilight Zone-esque story on a couple trying to reconcile. And, one television show, "Running Wild with Bear Grylles" guest starring Channing Tatum. OMG!!! And, I ate some dinner. Tonight was chicken gumbo, chili, cornbread, oatmeal cookies and ice cream. Not much of a day. Nope. I was looking forward to my husband's visit but when he called at 5 pm, he mentioned that he was in Ritzville (by Spokane) working on his trailer with Darryl (the other jerk that took my cruise without me).  I do not begrudge my husband having a life away from me. However, as I keep telling him, I don't appreciate being purposefully left out of loop and disrespected by being left waiting for his disrespectful ass. Any questions?

Gratitude For Reading

People are reading my blog! I cannot express my gratitude enough. My heart is soaring! Before I got ALS, it was a minor interest amongst many varied interests. Today, I am unable to physically participate in many of my prior interests, like motorcycling, photography, knitting and other handicrafts, hiking, traveling, painting, drawing, going to the gym, working in the garden, doing housework, canning, and cooking gourmet or ethnic foods. Therefore, I am more focused on the ones that are most accessible to me, such as reading via audiobook or e-book, television, movies, meditation, music appreciation, and writing. Like the blind man who's sense of hearing and smell is heightened, I'd like to think my crippled body has made me more attuned to things more on the spiritual and sensual level. Initially, when some members of my family read my blog, they chose to focus on what they viewed as negative. The feedback I got was harsh and personally critical. .I was told that I was ...