Skip to main content

Patience

I was asked to write a segment on "patience" of all things.This is for a staff training video. I cannot help but feel a little convicted as I am not always the best example of patience. I have thrown howling shitfits, cursed caregivers, and presented as a pain in the butt. Who would even care what I have to say on the subject?!

Then, again, who wouldn't? I've had ALS for about 3 1/2 years. In that time, I've had to overcome the reality of transforming from an active, independent woman to one who must depend upon others for every single need, no matter how personal. I've suffered and transcended physical impairment, paralysis, emotionalability, betrayal, abandonment, humiliation, discrimination, and governmental inadequacy. And, I've not always suffered graciously nor quietly. Be that as it may, the following is my contribution:

Patience.

Ironic that I should speak to patience, when I seem to have so little.

Patience is so important when dealing with neurological declines because many times we are simply unable to effectively communicate our needs for you to understand.

When you exhibit loving patience, you are able to foster a spirit of trust, especially, in the face of distress. Even if you seem to fail to diffuse a spell of temperament, (shall we say), you are setting the stage to be the trusted focal the next time a seemingly insurmountable obstacle appears.

I know this to be true for me. As a resident with ALS, I have nearly daily, imperceptible declines in muscles, which results in increasing paralysis, which affects breathing. What was effective one day, simply isn't on another. I'm  not being tempremental. I'm just trying to find my equalibrium in a rapidly-changing reality. I appreciate all the love and care you bestow upon me, even if I'm unable to say so.

Patience goes both ways. I know that I strive to be more patient with those who are most patient with Me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Creep

  Have you ever used the internet to look up an old flame? How about an old arch-enemy? Did you have the intention to reconnect? Me neither.

I Remember...

I remember catching fireflies,  putting them in a jar, as a girl of five. I picked pears off a tree that overhung an alleyway on my route home from school, then enjoyed the forbidden fruit. .I had a golden cat who chased a gray mouse through our living room sending my mother, 3-year old sister, and me screaming atop the sofa and chairs. We lived in a farmhouse and I watched Romper Room. A daddy longlegs skittered across my dirty kid legs as I teeter-tottered on a broken kitchen chair back. I played grocery store and laid out a bedroll for group nap time in preschool. We lived in an apartment attached to a bakery. My maternal grandparents visited and a photo was snapped. Grandma held Dawn and Grandpa held me. I held Grandpa's chin. Walking through the back of the flour-caked kitchen, I saw scrumptious pastries and colorful toys stuck in the cupcakes with my hungry kids eyes. We lived in a two-story apartment building next door to a large farmer's field.  That field was my