Skip to main content

Sleep Perchance To Dream

.My life, I live in increments. Periods of lucid awakeness, spanning shorter times. Less incentive to stay conscious. Poor facsimile of life. Downward escalator to death. I spend so much time in the different levels of sleep, I can almost recognize them when I'm in them.

Why I dream of my exhusband so often, I do not know. Last night, I dreamt that I was to live with him in the .posh condominium of his deceased wife, (his current wife). He wasn't happy with the requirement and proceeded to treat me as horribly as possible. Not answering courteous questions I asked him, like "What would you like me to do? " He was moving ornate Oriental furnishings into the well-crafted one story home and I was trying to put everything away in a way that pleased him. Unfortunately, nothing pleased him. He held me in absolute disdain and scorn.

Neighbors came by to welcome him back, giving me sidelong knowing glances. I kept searching the myriad cabinets and drawers for something to offer these impromptu guests to no avail. I was desperate to make a good impression to hopefully sway this negative popular opinion. I was desperate for a friend, even just one.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Creep

  Have you ever used the internet to look up an old flame? How about an old arch-enemy? Did you have the intention to reconnect? Me neither.

I Remember...

I remember catching fireflies,  putting them in a jar, as a girl of five. I picked pears off a tree that overhung an alleyway on my route home from school, then enjoyed the forbidden fruit. .I had a golden cat who chased a gray mouse through our living room sending my mother, 3-year old sister, and me screaming atop the sofa and chairs. We lived in a farmhouse and I watched Romper Room. A daddy longlegs skittered across my dirty kid legs as I teeter-tottered on a broken kitchen chair back. I played grocery store and laid out a bedroll for group nap time in preschool. We lived in an apartment attached to a bakery. My maternal grandparents visited and a photo was snapped. Grandma held Dawn and Grandpa held me. I held Grandpa's chin. Walking through the back of the flour-caked kitchen, I saw scrumptious pastries and colorful toys stuck in the cupcakes with my hungry kids eyes. We lived in a two-story apartment building next door to a large farmer's field.  That field was my