Skip to main content

A Host of Friends

"Life will take on new meaning. To watch people recover, to see them help others, to watch loneliness vanish,....To have a host of friends -- this is an experience you must not miss.   ALCOHOLICS ANONYMOUS P. 89

I'm so grateful to have read this early in my recovery. I needed reassurance that I wasn't going to miss out on life by giving up my old haunts and playmates. I wasn't focused on the "others" benefit, at the time, so much as "what was in it for me". Relinquishing, or more accurately, lessening my selfishness came later, after working the ninth step (a few times).

It was and is, a pleasure to watch others "get it" and embark on their own path to recovery. When they do that, they bolster my recovery and ensure the survival of our fellowship.

From my first days in the rooms, people told their stories and reached out to connect with me. There were many meetings, service positions, alano clubs, and sober activities. Lots of opportunities to watch the loneliness vanish. As a result of working the program to the best of my ability, and due to the passage of time staying sober, I have met many wonderful people.Some being lessons and some being blessings as they say. However, I collect vastly more blessings.

Who knew that years after getting sober I would be diagnosed with ALS (also known as "Lou Gehrig's Disease"). The day I found out I had this rare and deadly disease, I went to my host of friends and shared from the heart. They have been with me ever since. I never had the width or depth of friends in my friendship pool when I was a practicing alcoholic. Three years into this disease and I still have a host of friends. I'm only as lonely as I choose to be. I still enjoy reaching out to the newcomer, and I'm doubly grateful that I did not miss the experience.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kate

I think about my friend, Kate Struby, who died from this horrible disease in 2013. She lived here at Bailey Boushay House before I did. I reached out to Kate online through FaceBook because I loved her photograph with her head thrown back in laughter. I also loved her posts. I guess I just loved her spirit. I got to finally meet her one month before she died. I happened to be at the University of Washington Medical Center for my quarterly appointment when I saw her FaceBook post. She was awake and in the medical ICU. She was a mere few floors down. I would not be stopped. Relativeor no, I would meet my FaceBook friend. Thank God I did. I rolled into the room to find a beautiful, ethere.al woman flanked by two friends. Although it was an impromtu visit, she said she knew me immediately.I was in awe of her with her fiery spirit despite the ravages of our shared disease. She, unable to lift even a finger, lifted my spirit.

Disrespected, Again...

It's 10 pm, I've accomplished nothing to speak of. I watched one movi, "The One I Love", a Twilight Zone-esque story on a couple trying to reconcile. And, one television show, "Running Wild with Bear Grylles" guest starring Channing Tatum. OMG!!! And, I ate some dinner. Tonight was chicken gumbo, chili, cornbread, oatmeal cookies and ice cream. Not much of a day. Nope. I was looking forward to my husband's visit but when he called at 5 pm, he mentioned that he was in Ritzville (by Spokane) working on his trailer with Darryl (the other jerk that took my cruise without me).  I do not begrudge my husband having a life away from me. However, as I keep telling him, I don't appreciate being purposefully left out of loop and disrespected by being left waiting for his disrespectful ass. Any questions?

Gratitude For Reading

People are reading my blog! I cannot express my gratitude enough. My heart is soaring! Before I got ALS, it was a minor interest amongst many varied interests. Today, I am unable to physically participate in many of my prior interests, like motorcycling, photography, knitting and other handicrafts, hiking, traveling, painting, drawing, going to the gym, working in the garden, doing housework, canning, and cooking gourmet or ethnic foods. Therefore, I am more focused on the ones that are most accessible to me, such as reading via audiobook or e-book, television, movies, meditation, music appreciation, and writing. Like the blind man who's sense of hearing and smell is heightened, I'd like to think my crippled body has made me more attuned to things more on the spiritual and sensual level. Initially, when some members of my family read my blog, they chose to focus on what they viewed as negative. The feedback I got was harsh and personally critical. .I was told that I was ...