Skip to main content

ALS Is Bad Enough, Thank You .

Some days I can really relate to Brittany Morgan, the lady with brain cancer who chose to end her life on her terms, rather than die horribly on cancer's terms.  Death With Dignity, in my humble opinion, does not go far enough.  While I am glad everything worked out well for her (presuming she is not gone to Hell for her actions), people like me with a muscle disease cannot self-administer the prescription, Therefore Death With Dignity is not really attainable.

I am forced to live this life such as it is. Although I missed my window of opportunity, I doubt I would have taken it when I was able. I still had hope. I get so very frustrated with caregivers, my condition, and myself!

The nurse last night was unhelpful and patronizing. When I wanted to be turned onto my right side, he told me that he could not, although he had done just that while changing me moments before.When I tried to speak to him, he didn't even attempt to understand me. He kept saying mm-hmm mm-hmm mm-hmm, obviously not listening and not caring to listen. I got upset and told him so which came out like gibberish. He muttered, "I'm not doing this! " and angrily stormed away. Adding insult to injury, I'm sittin' here with what I jokingly refer to as a "Chaco Taco". No joke. It feels disgusting! I'm incredulous why they thought it was a good idea to have two men "care" for a quadrapalegic woman! Imagine how I felt being stripped naked, laying there, paralyzed, Unable to cover my ALS-altered body. Most caregivers would cover me up with the clean gown then remove the soiled one, but not these insensative oafs.

If that is not bad enough, this male nurse is callous administering medications into the PEG tube using cold water and plunging the concoction quickly into my stomach causing a crampy bellyache. Of course, he was all nicey-nice And was oh so happy to give me some Tylenol to soothe my "muscle spasm". I could not wait to sleep and escape my nightmare and wouldn't you know that I did not get a call button nor did I get my bipap all the stinkin' night!

Ya know, ALS is bad enough without bad patient care.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Creep

  Have you ever used the internet to look up an old flame? How about an old arch-enemy? Did you have the intention to reconnect? Me neither.

I Remember...

I remember catching fireflies,  putting them in a jar, as a girl of five. I picked pears off a tree that overhung an alleyway on my route home from school, then enjoyed the forbidden fruit. .I had a golden cat who chased a gray mouse through our living room sending my mother, 3-year old sister, and me screaming atop the sofa and chairs. We lived in a farmhouse and I watched Romper Room. A daddy longlegs skittered across my dirty kid legs as I teeter-tottered on a broken kitchen chair back. I played grocery store and laid out a bedroll for group nap time in preschool. We lived in an apartment attached to a bakery. My maternal grandparents visited and a photo was snapped. Grandma held Dawn and Grandpa held me. I held Grandpa's chin. Walking through the back of the flour-caked kitchen, I saw scrumptious pastries and colorful toys stuck in the cupcakes with my hungry kids eyes. We lived in a two-story apartment building next door to a large farmer's field.  That field was my