Skip to main content

ALS Is Bad Enough, Thank You .

Some days I can really relate to Brittany Morgan, the lady with brain cancer who chose to end her life on her terms, rather than die horribly on cancer's terms.  Death With Dignity, in my humble opinion, does not go far enough.  While I am glad everything worked out well for her (presuming she is not gone to Hell for her actions), people like me with a muscle disease cannot self-administer the prescription, Therefore Death With Dignity is not really attainable.

I am forced to live this life such as it is. Although I missed my window of opportunity, I doubt I would have taken it when I was able. I still had hope. I get so very frustrated with caregivers, my condition, and myself!

The nurse last night was unhelpful and patronizing. When I wanted to be turned onto my right side, he told me that he could not, although he had done just that while changing me moments before.When I tried to speak to him, he didn't even attempt to understand me. He kept saying mm-hmm mm-hmm mm-hmm, obviously not listening and not caring to listen. I got upset and told him so which came out like gibberish. He muttered, "I'm not doing this! " and angrily stormed away. Adding insult to injury, I'm sittin' here with what I jokingly refer to as a "Chaco Taco". No joke. It feels disgusting! I'm incredulous why they thought it was a good idea to have two men "care" for a quadrapalegic woman! Imagine how I felt being stripped naked, laying there, paralyzed, Unable to cover my ALS-altered body. Most caregivers would cover me up with the clean gown then remove the soiled one, but not these insensative oafs.

If that is not bad enough, this male nurse is callous administering medications into the PEG tube using cold water and plunging the concoction quickly into my stomach causing a crampy bellyache. Of course, he was all nicey-nice And was oh so happy to give me some Tylenol to soothe my "muscle spasm". I could not wait to sleep and escape my nightmare and wouldn't you know that I did not get a call button nor did I get my bipap all the stinkin' night!

Ya know, ALS is bad enough without bad patient care.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kate

I think about my friend, Kate Struby, who died from this horrible disease in 2013. She lived here at Bailey Boushay House before I did. I reached out to Kate online through FaceBook because I loved her photograph with her head thrown back in laughter. I also loved her posts. I guess I just loved her spirit. I got to finally meet her one month before she died. I happened to be at the University of Washington Medical Center for my quarterly appointment when I saw her FaceBook post. She was awake and in the medical ICU. She was a mere few floors down. I would not be stopped. Relativeor no, I would meet my FaceBook friend. Thank God I did. I rolled into the room to find a beautiful, ethere.al woman flanked by two friends. Although it was an impromtu visit, she said she knew me immediately.I was in awe of her with her fiery spirit despite the ravages of our shared disease. She, unable to lift even a finger, lifted my spirit.

Gratitude For Reading

People are reading my blog! I cannot express my gratitude enough. My heart is soaring! Before I got ALS, it was a minor interest amongst many varied interests. Today, I am unable to physically participate in many of my prior interests, like motorcycling, photography, knitting and other handicrafts, hiking, traveling, painting, drawing, going to the gym, working in the garden, doing housework, canning, and cooking gourmet or ethnic foods. Therefore, I am more focused on the ones that are most accessible to me, such as reading via audiobook or e-book, television, movies, meditation, music appreciation, and writing. Like the blind man who's sense of hearing and smell is heightened, I'd like to think my crippled body has made me more attuned to things more on the spiritual and sensual level. Initially, when some members of my family read my blog, they chose to focus on what they viewed as negative. The feedback I got was harsh and personally critical. .I was told that I was ...

Disrespected, Again...

It's 10 pm, I've accomplished nothing to speak of. I watched one movi, "The One I Love", a Twilight Zone-esque story on a couple trying to reconcile. And, one television show, "Running Wild with Bear Grylles" guest starring Channing Tatum. OMG!!! And, I ate some dinner. Tonight was chicken gumbo, chili, cornbread, oatmeal cookies and ice cream. Not much of a day. Nope. I was looking forward to my husband's visit but when he called at 5 pm, he mentioned that he was in Ritzville (by Spokane) working on his trailer with Darryl (the other jerk that took my cruise without me).  I do not begrudge my husband having a life away from me. However, as I keep telling him, I don't appreciate being purposefully left out of loop and disrespected by being left waiting for his disrespectful ass. Any questions?