Skip to main content

Benevolent Souls

I've been complaining profusely and whether you realize it or not, conditions are worse and, at times, better than you can imagine. My accounts of care need to reach the light of day. My brutal account of living with ALS should be known. Otherwise, how else will anyone learn how to care for us in the future?

I am not a trained writer (obviously), this blog is not meant for academia, rather it is meant for me. I need an outlet to express my self, my emotions, to review my own perceptions and beliefs. I am, however, inviting you to view my world by virtue of selecting the Public button when I created this blog.

I've been "cooling my heels" the University of Washington Medical Center over the past month. And I've had good and bad experiences since then. Unfortunately, I've focused on the negatives in my blog. There is a lot to love about this place, too.

Forget everything you've ever heard about hospital food. The eating is good on the general menu. And yes, I said, MENU! There are great choices. And yes, I said, CHOICES! Additionally, you can eat on your own schedule. This is Heaven compared to the regimented, institutional swill they foisted upon us at my last highly-rated skilled nursing facility. I've had prime rib, coconut Mahi Mahi, lasagna, Mandarin chicken, chili, lemon meringue pie, chocolate torte, ice cream, sherbert, real Coca-cola, pepperoni pizza. Amazing! And it all tastes as it should.

About the facility, for the most part, it's bright and cheerful considering the gravity and seriousness of the afflictions going through here.There is a huge variety of thought-provoking artwork along the hallways that I love to peruse. They have a fabulous coffee bar, a peaceful tea room, a bustling, well-stocked gift shop. The rooms I can report on is the MICU (medical ICU) which is all business, noisy, and effective, like you would want it. The 6th floor northeast is bustling, cheerful, gleaming, and the rooms are relatively large, clean, and clinically well-appointed. And some rooms have a Helluva view! Mine currently overlooks the Montlake Cut. I'm loving it. Room entertainment is the television with a patient movie channel and a Comcast-esque system.

Well-staffed and evident skills with energy and personality is how I would describe the benevolent souls who toil to cure, stabilize, or assist us to our next destination. They care, most seem to love what they do, and it shows.

So much different than a "skilled" nursing facility.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Creep

  Have you ever used the internet to look up an old flame? How about an old arch-enemy? Did you have the intention to reconnect? Me neither.

I Remember...

I remember catching fireflies,  putting them in a jar, as a girl of five. I picked pears off a tree that overhung an alleyway on my route home from school, then enjoyed the forbidden fruit. .I had a golden cat who chased a gray mouse through our living room sending my mother, 3-year old sister, and me screaming atop the sofa and chairs. We lived in a farmhouse and I watched Romper Room. A daddy longlegs skittered across my dirty kid legs as I teeter-tottered on a broken kitchen chair back. I played grocery store and laid out a bedroll for group nap time in preschool. We lived in an apartment attached to a bakery. My maternal grandparents visited and a photo was snapped. Grandma held Dawn and Grandpa held me. I held Grandpa's chin. Walking through the back of the flour-caked kitchen, I saw scrumptious pastries and colorful toys stuck in the cupcakes with my hungry kids eyes. We lived in a two-story apartment building next door to a large farmer's field.  That field was my