Skip to main content

Support Group Nite

ALS Association meeting every third Wednesday night of the month is the port in the storm that is ALS. I've been attending these sanity-saving gatherings since my diagnosis in 2012.

Throughout the years I've been in these get togethers, meeting people with ALS, their families, and their caregivers, I fail to understand the PALS who don't tap into this valuable and free resource. .Don't get me wrong, I'm not judging. To each, their own. I just do not understand.

Oh, I understand the fear of the unknown. The fear of looking "the beast right in the eye".  If you're anything like me, you never knew what ALS was, let alone met somebody with ALS.  If you're anything like me, you never knew what ALS was, let alone met somebody with ALS. Or you associate ALS with Stephen Hawking and God knows, you don't look forward to looking like him! Sorry Stephen. I'm no prize anymore, either.

But, what I get is invaluable...Understanding. I get this in no other place. Access to resources. Needless to say, I've never had ALS before. So, why wouldn't I tap into a source of accumulated wisdom from people who have been there or are there? And, hope. Yes, hope! ALS may not have a cure but, members are the first to say, 'yet'. They are plugged into the latest intel on this horrendous disease; research, medical trials, and debunking myths and scams.

And maybe, just maybe, you'll make some beautiful friendships along the way. I found family and friends couldn't always handle the grim realities of the disease and pulled away. Sometimes, I only had fellow PALS and CALS to support me. This, I never would've guessed.


*PALS (People with ALS)
*CALS (Caregivers of people with ALS)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Creep

  Have you ever used the internet to look up an old flame? How about an old arch-enemy? Did you have the intention to reconnect? Me neither.

I Remember...

I remember catching fireflies,  putting them in a jar, as a girl of five. I picked pears off a tree that overhung an alleyway on my route home from school, then enjoyed the forbidden fruit. .I had a golden cat who chased a gray mouse through our living room sending my mother, 3-year old sister, and me screaming atop the sofa and chairs. We lived in a farmhouse and I watched Romper Room. A daddy longlegs skittered across my dirty kid legs as I teeter-tottered on a broken kitchen chair back. I played grocery store and laid out a bedroll for group nap time in preschool. We lived in an apartment attached to a bakery. My maternal grandparents visited and a photo was snapped. Grandma held Dawn and Grandpa held me. I held Grandpa's chin. Walking through the back of the flour-caked kitchen, I saw scrumptious pastries and colorful toys stuck in the cupcakes with my hungry kids eyes. We lived in a two-story apartment building next door to a large farmer's field.  That field was my