Skip to main content

Beautiful Gestures

I love my husband. I know that I bag on him a lot and, frankly, he deserves it. Everything I post is the truth. I would not ever, knowingly, post a lie. However, if this the only source of information you use to form an opinion of my husband, then you're not getting a true picture of the man.

The man that I fell in love with, fell for me first. He spent a whole night buying me "drinks". (Orange and cranberry juice over ice with a splash of pineapple juice) He was chagrined to learn that he paid alcohol prices for non-alcoholic cocktails, or "mock-tails". He was amazed at how well I handled my Harley and danced after so much alcohol consumption. (Clearly, he was accustomed to a different kind of girl. The kind of girl I was determined not to be ever again.) This man matched me dance for dance though he was clearly outmatched. He gave it Hell though and he was cute doing his damnedest in his unique custom leather chaps to "More Human Than Human " by Corn.

He was surprisingly respectful and non-aggressive for a grungy biker. I say that tongue-in-cheek because he was hardly that. He had a clean, late-model Harley Davidson motorcycle that I was familiar with, the same model year as my bike. He was also, thankfully, a non-smoker. Over a late night breakfast at Shari's, I learned that he was blue collar and that he had gainful employment. Check, check and check. (Did I mention that I had an actual, physical list of the characteristics of my next relationship partner?)

This man was, and remains, an attractive older man with a slight build. (Not my type. I preferred a stockier build because the last thing I wanted was to be the fat wife to the skinny husband who bitches at her about her weight. Yeah, God has a sense of humor!) I showed him where I lived, hoping to see him again to go for a bike ride and to get to know him better. I did not allow him to spend the night and he didn't push it. (Another plus for my new friend. I had no desire to be a notch on his bedpost.) The very next morning, he called bright and early to go on an impromptu bike ride together. We've been riding together ever since.

My husband touched my heart deeply early on. Three days after we met, he went on a solo ride to the Green River Gorge. In the one lane bridge spanning the Green River, he scratched in Rod loves Tina. (We hadn't even slept together, yet!) We went on a ride to the Carbon River with his brother and on the way back, we had the road to ourselves. My new boyfriend took a languid swerve to the wrong side of the road and deftly picked a long-stemmed wildflower and handed it off to me at 25 miles per hour. It was very romantic and I was pleasantly surprised at his first public display of affection.  His gesture was not lost on his brother who gushed about it to the rest of the family.

I was shocked to learn that within mere months of our meeting, he made a purchase that tipped his hand on his intentions. His brother invited him to the ABATE swap meet in Monroe and I had other plans. During his foray, he purchased a skeleton figurine portraying a groom carrying his bride over the threshold. This, he wrapped up in a plain brown paper bag and stuffed under the seat of his truck. One day he pulls out his prize and shows me, explaining his intentions for our future.

We have seventeen years of history, moments and gestures, large and small. Travels, hopes and dreams, and lots and lots of love.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Creep

  Have you ever used the internet to look up an old flame? How about an old arch-enemy? Did you have the intention to reconnect? Me neither.

I Remember...

I remember catching fireflies,  putting them in a jar, as a girl of five. I picked pears off a tree that overhung an alleyway on my route home from school, then enjoyed the forbidden fruit. .I had a golden cat who chased a gray mouse through our living room sending my mother, 3-year old sister, and me screaming atop the sofa and chairs. We lived in a farmhouse and I watched Romper Room. A daddy longlegs skittered across my dirty kid legs as I teeter-tottered on a broken kitchen chair back. I played grocery store and laid out a bedroll for group nap time in preschool. We lived in an apartment attached to a bakery. My maternal grandparents visited and a photo was snapped. Grandma held Dawn and Grandpa held me. I held Grandpa's chin. Walking through the back of the flour-caked kitchen, I saw scrumptious pastries and colorful toys stuck in the cupcakes with my hungry kids eyes. We lived in a two-story apartment building next door to a large farmer's field.  That field was my