Skip to main content

Thank you Assan

Bad news. One of my favorite caregivers is leaving Bailey Boushay House, and by extension, me. Assan Jagne, originally from Gambia, is a very tall, very black, imposing man at first glance. But, if you stop there you'd miss out on an extraordinary human being.

I must admit that I was  more than a little apprehensive about being cared for by him. For one thing, I dreaded having my more intimate needs attended to by any man. I was terrified at the prospect of him.

How utterly fear-based, sexist, and racist of me! As he did his job, I witnessed his gentle, self-effacing humor, his intuitive ability to really help, and the love that emanates from him.  I learned that he helped a friend of mine who also had ALS. As a result, he seemed to understand my particular needs as a spirited woman with ALS.

I struggle to find the appropriate words to express my gratitude to God for sending me this lovely person to teach me valuable lessons.  I will feel his absence. I will strive to appreciate the time I got to spend with him, hearing about his wife, baby, life and country of origin. What a wonderful experience! I wish him the very best and know he has a bright future ahead of him.

Thank you.

Comments

  1. What a lovely post! He must really have been an extraordinary fellow for you to have devoted so much of your precious energy/effort to write this tribute to him. I hope he knows about this...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Creep

  Have you ever used the internet to look up an old flame? How about an old arch-enemy? Did you have the intention to reconnect? Me neither.

I Remember...

I remember catching fireflies,  putting them in a jar, as a girl of five. I picked pears off a tree that overhung an alleyway on my route home from school, then enjoyed the forbidden fruit. .I had a golden cat who chased a gray mouse through our living room sending my mother, 3-year old sister, and me screaming atop the sofa and chairs. We lived in a farmhouse and I watched Romper Room. A daddy longlegs skittered across my dirty kid legs as I teeter-tottered on a broken kitchen chair back. I played grocery store and laid out a bedroll for group nap time in preschool. We lived in an apartment attached to a bakery. My maternal grandparents visited and a photo was snapped. Grandma held Dawn and Grandpa held me. I held Grandpa's chin. Walking through the back of the flour-caked kitchen, I saw scrumptious pastries and colorful toys stuck in the cupcakes with my hungry kids eyes. We lived in a two-story apartment building next door to a large farmer's field.  That field was my