Skip to main content

Compassion and Courage

Don't get me wrong, I love it here at Bailey Boushay House. By and large, I love my caregivers and I really appreciate the difficult job they do. I cannot imagine working in a hospice situation. What compassion they have! What courage!

Before I was diagnosed with ALS, I was afraid to spend time with somebody that had a potentially life-threatening illness. I had compassion but I lacked courage. Courage to accept the unacceptable...Death. The thought of losing somebody that I've come to know or worse, come to love... Well, it just rears up my separation anxiety to vibrate.

Actually, I just mis-spoke...I did have a friend who ended up with breast cancer, and I did not run. I did support her by staying friends, offering encouragement, being there for chemotherapy, being present for her mastectomy, offering to take on her beloved dog should she not make it. I knitted chemo caps for though she opted for ball caps. I knitted "Boobie socks" in breast cancer pink, that I entered into the fair and won a ribbon for. And I prayed for her to healed. But, she was the only one and I banked on her survival.

Okay, I'm not a complete fraidy cat. Thankfully.

Taking a hard, honest look at myself, makes me all the more appreciative of what I have available to me today. It also helps to console me when I feel so alienated from my friends and family.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kate

I think about my friend, Kate Struby, who died from this horrible disease in 2013. She lived here at Bailey Boushay House before I did. I reached out to Kate online through FaceBook because I loved her photograph with her head thrown back in laughter. I also loved her posts. I guess I just loved her spirit. I got to finally meet her one month before she died. I happened to be at the University of Washington Medical Center for my quarterly appointment when I saw her FaceBook post. She was awake and in the medical ICU. She was a mere few floors down. I would not be stopped. Relativeor no, I would meet my FaceBook friend. Thank God I did. I rolled into the room to find a beautiful, ethere.al woman flanked by two friends. Although it was an impromtu visit, she said she knew me immediately.I was in awe of her with her fiery spirit despite the ravages of our shared disease. She, unable to lift even a finger, lifted my spirit.

Gratitude For Reading

People are reading my blog! I cannot express my gratitude enough. My heart is soaring! Before I got ALS, it was a minor interest amongst many varied interests. Today, I am unable to physically participate in many of my prior interests, like motorcycling, photography, knitting and other handicrafts, hiking, traveling, painting, drawing, going to the gym, working in the garden, doing housework, canning, and cooking gourmet or ethnic foods. Therefore, I am more focused on the ones that are most accessible to me, such as reading via audiobook or e-book, television, movies, meditation, music appreciation, and writing. Like the blind man who's sense of hearing and smell is heightened, I'd like to think my crippled body has made me more attuned to things more on the spiritual and sensual level. Initially, when some members of my family read my blog, they chose to focus on what they viewed as negative. The feedback I got was harsh and personally critical. .I was told that I was ...

Disrespected, Again...

It's 10 pm, I've accomplished nothing to speak of. I watched one movi, "The One I Love", a Twilight Zone-esque story on a couple trying to reconcile. And, one television show, "Running Wild with Bear Grylles" guest starring Channing Tatum. OMG!!! And, I ate some dinner. Tonight was chicken gumbo, chili, cornbread, oatmeal cookies and ice cream. Not much of a day. Nope. I was looking forward to my husband's visit but when he called at 5 pm, he mentioned that he was in Ritzville (by Spokane) working on his trailer with Darryl (the other jerk that took my cruise without me).  I do not begrudge my husband having a life away from me. However, as I keep telling him, I don't appreciate being purposefully left out of loop and disrespected by being left waiting for his disrespectful ass. Any questions?