Skip to main content

Shit Happens

Living in a hospice care facility is a trip. It has it's good moments as well as bad, poignant moments, and embarrassing ones, too. This was a first, but I'll get to that soon.
.
ALS, also known as Motor Neuron Disease, gradually kills motor nuerons that control muscles. The propaganda says that the voluntary muscles are affected but my experience proves out otherwise. For example, elimination is hardly voluntary. It must be done or thou shalt burst. Eventually, we are unable to breathe. Also, not voluntary.

Anyway, back to elimination. Yeah, I'm going there. My reality, being a non-mobile, is that I am frequently constipated. Despite consciously making healthy, fiber-rich choices, I am at the mercy of deteriorating biology. My options to prevent the aforementioned, bursting, are Miralax, stool softeners, suppositories, and something called digi-stim. Dear God don't ask!

Tonight, I had yet another bout and had to resort to the dreaded suppository. I've had to trust that the nurses are adept at administering this most delicate and intimate procedure. Unfortunately, I've had it done badly at the last nursing facility I lived at. Let's just say that people with long fingernails...Well, you get it. Tonight, on the other hand, I had a more interesting experience. A male nurse did the job and it kinda went in the wrong place. What's worse is that when I alerted the nurses who were performing this feat in tandem, they actually asked if I was sure!

The bitch about ALS is that while my muscles are failing, my cognition and sensory is fully intact. I know when something goes in the vah jay jay. So, what did I do?

Laughed. I couldn't stop myself. I mean, think about it, this is the most action I've had in nearly two years.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Creep

  Have you ever used the internet to look up an old flame? How about an old arch-enemy? Did you have the intention to reconnect? Me neither.

I Remember...

I remember catching fireflies,  putting them in a jar, as a girl of five. I picked pears off a tree that overhung an alleyway on my route home from school, then enjoyed the forbidden fruit. .I had a golden cat who chased a gray mouse through our living room sending my mother, 3-year old sister, and me screaming atop the sofa and chairs. We lived in a farmhouse and I watched Romper Room. A daddy longlegs skittered across my dirty kid legs as I teeter-tottered on a broken kitchen chair back. I played grocery store and laid out a bedroll for group nap time in preschool. We lived in an apartment attached to a bakery. My maternal grandparents visited and a photo was snapped. Grandma held Dawn and Grandpa held me. I held Grandpa's chin. Walking through the back of the flour-caked kitchen, I saw scrumptious pastries and colorful toys stuck in the cupcakes with my hungry kids eyes. We lived in a two-story apartment building next door to a large farmer's field.  That field was my