Skip to main content

The Struggle of Relationship With ALS

Seven days since my husband has been here. More of his petty need for control.

When last I saw him, I was crying and throwing a fit. Well, no small wonder you might say or think. We would leave as well. But, consider this...

My husband and I have been together a long time. We have gone to counseling a few dozen times and, supposedly, know our issues. As adult children of alcoholics, we share some of the same dysfunction. Occasionally, we get mired in poor communication conundrums. Both sitting on hurt feelings, thinking nobody understands. He retreats into slothful behaviors. Sitting and reading, sitting and watching television, lying on the floor sleeping, and, generally, ducking all Responsibility.

Most times, I'm the one to get us back on track. I've been the one to offer the olive branch. I've had to drive out to Packwood from Maple Valley, and, physically, pull him out of his funk. Suggest solutions and coddle his hurt feelings for the sake of our marriage. But, I cannot do that anymore.

I am, physically, unable to run after him. I cannot call him on the phone and reassure him that I love him or, calmly, explain my viewpoint and offer common ground. I can only sit with my own hurt feelings and hope he comes back around.

Or, should I even want him? He's been my primary source of stress since I've been saddled with this diagnosis. He has been, alternately, sullen and sweet. Confusing me at every turn. Taking charge of my care in the early days. Painstakingly, sorting my supplements and medications, then raging at me for setting my iPad timer so I would not forget a dosage. When I'd awaken early and go through the struggle into my swimsuit to be ready to be picked up for water aerobics and my ride wouldn't show, He'd come to my rescue and drive me to the pool. I'd be so grateful for his generosity, then he'd complain throughout the trip.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kate

I think about my friend, Kate Struby, who died from this horrible disease in 2013. She lived here at Bailey Boushay House before I did. I reached out to Kate online through FaceBook because I loved her photograph with her head thrown back in laughter. I also loved her posts. I guess I just loved her spirit. I got to finally meet her one month before she died. I happened to be at the University of Washington Medical Center for my quarterly appointment when I saw her FaceBook post. She was awake and in the medical ICU. She was a mere few floors down. I would not be stopped. Relativeor no, I would meet my FaceBook friend. Thank God I did. I rolled into the room to find a beautiful, ethere.al woman flanked by two friends. Although it was an impromtu visit, she said she knew me immediately.I was in awe of her with her fiery spirit despite the ravages of our shared disease. She, unable to lift even a finger, lifted my spirit.

Gratitude For Reading

People are reading my blog! I cannot express my gratitude enough. My heart is soaring! Before I got ALS, it was a minor interest amongst many varied interests. Today, I am unable to physically participate in many of my prior interests, like motorcycling, photography, knitting and other handicrafts, hiking, traveling, painting, drawing, going to the gym, working in the garden, doing housework, canning, and cooking gourmet or ethnic foods. Therefore, I am more focused on the ones that are most accessible to me, such as reading via audiobook or e-book, television, movies, meditation, music appreciation, and writing. Like the blind man who's sense of hearing and smell is heightened, I'd like to think my crippled body has made me more attuned to things more on the spiritual and sensual level. Initially, when some members of my family read my blog, they chose to focus on what they viewed as negative. The feedback I got was harsh and personally critical. .I was told that I was ...

Disrespected, Again...

It's 10 pm, I've accomplished nothing to speak of. I watched one movi, "The One I Love", a Twilight Zone-esque story on a couple trying to reconcile. And, one television show, "Running Wild with Bear Grylles" guest starring Channing Tatum. OMG!!! And, I ate some dinner. Tonight was chicken gumbo, chili, cornbread, oatmeal cookies and ice cream. Not much of a day. Nope. I was looking forward to my husband's visit but when he called at 5 pm, he mentioned that he was in Ritzville (by Spokane) working on his trailer with Darryl (the other jerk that took my cruise without me).  I do not begrudge my husband having a life away from me. However, as I keep telling him, I don't appreciate being purposefully left out of loop and disrespected by being left waiting for his disrespectful ass. Any questions?