Skip to main content

The Struggle of Relationship With ALS

Seven days since my husband has been here. More of his petty need for control.

When last I saw him, I was crying and throwing a fit. Well, no small wonder you might say or think. We would leave as well. But, consider this...

My husband and I have been together a long time. We have gone to counseling a few dozen times and, supposedly, know our issues. As adult children of alcoholics, we share some of the same dysfunction. Occasionally, we get mired in poor communication conundrums. Both sitting on hurt feelings, thinking nobody understands. He retreats into slothful behaviors. Sitting and reading, sitting and watching television, lying on the floor sleeping, and, generally, ducking all Responsibility.

Most times, I'm the one to get us back on track. I've been the one to offer the olive branch. I've had to drive out to Packwood from Maple Valley, and, physically, pull him out of his funk. Suggest solutions and coddle his hurt feelings for the sake of our marriage. But, I cannot do that anymore.

I am, physically, unable to run after him. I cannot call him on the phone and reassure him that I love him or, calmly, explain my viewpoint and offer common ground. I can only sit with my own hurt feelings and hope he comes back around.

Or, should I even want him? He's been my primary source of stress since I've been saddled with this diagnosis. He has been, alternately, sullen and sweet. Confusing me at every turn. Taking charge of my care in the early days. Painstakingly, sorting my supplements and medications, then raging at me for setting my iPad timer so I would not forget a dosage. When I'd awaken early and go through the struggle into my swimsuit to be ready to be picked up for water aerobics and my ride wouldn't show, He'd come to my rescue and drive me to the pool. I'd be so grateful for his generosity, then he'd complain throughout the trip.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Creep

  Have you ever used the internet to look up an old flame? How about an old arch-enemy? Did you have the intention to reconnect? Me neither.

I Remember...

I remember catching fireflies,  putting them in a jar, as a girl of five. I picked pears off a tree that overhung an alleyway on my route home from school, then enjoyed the forbidden fruit. .I had a golden cat who chased a gray mouse through our living room sending my mother, 3-year old sister, and me screaming atop the sofa and chairs. We lived in a farmhouse and I watched Romper Room. A daddy longlegs skittered across my dirty kid legs as I teeter-tottered on a broken kitchen chair back. I played grocery store and laid out a bedroll for group nap time in preschool. We lived in an apartment attached to a bakery. My maternal grandparents visited and a photo was snapped. Grandma held Dawn and Grandpa held me. I held Grandpa's chin. Walking through the back of the flour-caked kitchen, I saw scrumptious pastries and colorful toys stuck in the cupcakes with my hungry kids eyes. We lived in a two-story apartment building next door to a large farmer's field.  That field was my