Skip to main content

Strike a Pose

Have you ever been famous or had your "15 minutes of fame"?

Why yes, yes, I have. For whatever it's worth. I had the rare opportunity to knit a piece for the Silver Anniversary edition of Vogue Knitting Magazine while working for a prestigious yarn and notions distributor. I paired two luxurious yarns together in silver and black and knitted an elegantly simple scarf that actually graced the pages of this historic crafters and designers full color periodical. I guess I wasn't famous per se, but my work had it's day in the spotlight and I'm kind of proud of that.

I had my moment of being infamous and it brings me shame. Why mention it? Honesty. Full disclosure. Know all of me. Good and bad. There is a little good in the worst of us and a little bad in the best of us. We are human and imperfect after all. I once made the newspaper for running my car into a bicycle shop. Well, I wasn't actually named in the article nor was my photo published but it was surely my handiwork. My car was pictured embedded in the building that housed the bicycle shop my estranged husband and I co-owned. I'll have to give you the details sometime. Note, it was not a DUI.

I did manage to get my name in print alongside my husband's name when we completed the ABC's of Harley Photo contest in the HOG Harley Owner's Group Magazine, a high quality national magazine. (My idea by the way.)We accomplished this by taking photos of ourselves with our individual Harley Davidson motorcycles, a recent copy of our HOG Magazine, and our smiling faces with a state, city, county, or post office sign to denote a letter of the alphabet. No doubles allowed. We nailed it and sent in our hard copy photos. Come to think of it, we were not yet married. My name was still Tina Kent at the time. But my heart definitely belonged to Rodney.

My next foray into fame came as a result of work and philanthropy. When I worked for a global aerospace corporation in the early 2000's, okay post 9/11, I got tapped to head up the the company's United Way campaign. We were a successful team and increased our giving across the board. I learned so much about the organization that my husband and I became leadership givers pledging $100 per month having it automatically withdrawn from my paycheck. As a result of our successful campaign, I got honored as a 2001 Campaign Coordinator of the Year. I went on to be interviewed on television and posed for studio shots that were used for promotional purposes for the United Way. My husband still has a very large poster sequestered away at home somewhere of me touting the virtues of the United Way. I had friends and family reporting sightings of my smiling face in hospitals, workplaces, television spots, even on the side of a bus. Now, I don't know if that last one is true but I'm glad I never saw it!

Most recently, I got a little news coverage when I participated in the Ice Bucket Challenge For ALS and a reporter did a nice little feature article on me, a woman with ALS. She even used a sassy little photo of me on on my Harley Davidson Softail Deluxe looking back over my shoulder in better days.

All in all, I think I'm quite fortunate with my little moments in the limelight. It could always have been worse. .

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Creep

  Have you ever used the internet to look up an old flame? How about an old arch-enemy? Did you have the intention to reconnect? Me neither.

I Remember...

I remember catching fireflies,  putting them in a jar, as a girl of five. I picked pears off a tree that overhung an alleyway on my route home from school, then enjoyed the forbidden fruit. .I had a golden cat who chased a gray mouse through our living room sending my mother, 3-year old sister, and me screaming atop the sofa and chairs. We lived in a farmhouse and I watched Romper Room. A daddy longlegs skittered across my dirty kid legs as I teeter-tottered on a broken kitchen chair back. I played grocery store and laid out a bedroll for group nap time in preschool. We lived in an apartment attached to a bakery. My maternal grandparents visited and a photo was snapped. Grandma held Dawn and Grandpa held me. I held Grandpa's chin. Walking through the back of the flour-caked kitchen, I saw scrumptious pastries and colorful toys stuck in the cupcakes with my hungry kids eyes. We lived in a two-story apartment building next door to a large farmer's field.  That field was my