Skip to main content

Brother: Our Clowning Jewel

You came home, a bundle swaddled in blue, an instant pride-and-joy. Born into a family of three sisters, a novelty, the best toy ever, a living doll. You had to endure endless kisses, your feet never touching the ground, and ridiculous nicknames.

You grew.

You taught us that spaghetti is acceptable as a full body rub, beware of ice cream cones in an accelerating car, and McDonald's cheeseburgers are a sedative. As an adorable towhead, you were all boy in spite of being Mama's boy. Puppy dogs, worms, and bugs held magnetic appeal, and all the better to chase girl siblings.

And grew.

Peanut butter and mayonnaise makes a great sandwich filling, Pacman cupcakes are popular among cub scouts, and baloney sticks to the ceiling up until Mom walks through the door. Little brothers are attractive nuisances, cute as can be until one brings a boyfriend home.

And grew.

Farts are effective weapons, particularly in sneak attacks, and up close. If you tell Mom that she smells like roses, you get lots of fringe benefits, like Pepsi, Slim Jims, and candy. If you're about to get in trouble, blame it on any or all of your sisters, you'll probably be rewarded with a bomb pop.

Thank God you grew out of that, I wouldn't have wanted to be jailed for murder.

Bah ha ha! Seriously, you were different but you were and are fun!

I love you Jimmy.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kate

I think about my friend, Kate Struby, who died from this horrible disease in 2013. She lived here at Bailey Boushay House before I did. I reached out to Kate online through FaceBook because I loved her photograph with her head thrown back in laughter. I also loved her posts. I guess I just loved her spirit. I got to finally meet her one month before she died. I happened to be at the University of Washington Medical Center for my quarterly appointment when I saw her FaceBook post. She was awake and in the medical ICU. She was a mere few floors down. I would not be stopped. Relativeor no, I would meet my FaceBook friend. Thank God I did. I rolled into the room to find a beautiful, ethere.al woman flanked by two friends. Although it was an impromtu visit, she said she knew me immediately.I was in awe of her with her fiery spirit despite the ravages of our shared disease. She, unable to lift even a finger, lifted my spirit.

Gratitude For Reading

People are reading my blog! I cannot express my gratitude enough. My heart is soaring! Before I got ALS, it was a minor interest amongst many varied interests. Today, I am unable to physically participate in many of my prior interests, like motorcycling, photography, knitting and other handicrafts, hiking, traveling, painting, drawing, going to the gym, working in the garden, doing housework, canning, and cooking gourmet or ethnic foods. Therefore, I am more focused on the ones that are most accessible to me, such as reading via audiobook or e-book, television, movies, meditation, music appreciation, and writing. Like the blind man who's sense of hearing and smell is heightened, I'd like to think my crippled body has made me more attuned to things more on the spiritual and sensual level. Initially, when some members of my family read my blog, they chose to focus on what they viewed as negative. The feedback I got was harsh and personally critical. .I was told that I was ...

Disrespected, Again...

It's 10 pm, I've accomplished nothing to speak of. I watched one movi, "The One I Love", a Twilight Zone-esque story on a couple trying to reconcile. And, one television show, "Running Wild with Bear Grylles" guest starring Channing Tatum. OMG!!! And, I ate some dinner. Tonight was chicken gumbo, chili, cornbread, oatmeal cookies and ice cream. Not much of a day. Nope. I was looking forward to my husband's visit but when he called at 5 pm, he mentioned that he was in Ritzville (by Spokane) working on his trailer with Darryl (the other jerk that took my cruise without me).  I do not begrudge my husband having a life away from me. However, as I keep telling him, I don't appreciate being purposefully left out of loop and disrespected by being left waiting for his disrespectful ass. Any questions?