Skip to main content

Happy Birthday to Me

Today is my birthday--another milestone met--another year of birth anniversary. I didn't expect much of a celebration this year and that was fine by me. I tire easily and can't bear up under the social expectations of others. Smiles and efforts to speak, with or without my speech generating device, taxes my energy--quickly.

After a lifetime of acquiring stuff, I need nothing anymore; you cannot take it with you and I live in hospice where I live my life in a room. I'm pretty happy to have a delicious morsel that I can manage to eat despite my mouth, tongue, and throat weaknesses. Tonight was delectable and tender Lamb Curry, individual-size banana splits, chocolate mousse, and cupcakes.

My mother and sister, Renee, surprised me with a visit complete with gorgeous fall flowers, gourmet cupcakes, a gift of audiobooks (my favorite kind) and their time, despite health challenges. My husband showed up while they were here, helping to carry the conversation, thus I did not overtire.

Throughout the day, caregivers dropped by to drop "Happy Birthday" wishes upon me. I got an extra bit of pampering today when my massage and physical therapists overlapped giving me double bliss. I highly recommend double bliss!

What a wonderful way to spend my birthday. Adding happy to my birthday was the helpful and loving presence of my husband, Rod. Feeding me all the goodies, showing up with more cupcakes, nightgowns, unboxing my package from my daughter, (an earphone headband), reading cards, downloading audiobooks, and watching movies with me. Oh, and placing long-distance calls to relatives who wished to speak to me on my birthday.

What a day!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Creep

  Have you ever used the internet to look up an old flame? How about an old arch-enemy? Did you have the intention to reconnect? Me neither.

I Remember...

I remember catching fireflies,  putting them in a jar, as a girl of five. I picked pears off a tree that overhung an alleyway on my route home from school, then enjoyed the forbidden fruit. .I had a golden cat who chased a gray mouse through our living room sending my mother, 3-year old sister, and me screaming atop the sofa and chairs. We lived in a farmhouse and I watched Romper Room. A daddy longlegs skittered across my dirty kid legs as I teeter-tottered on a broken kitchen chair back. I played grocery store and laid out a bedroll for group nap time in preschool. We lived in an apartment attached to a bakery. My maternal grandparents visited and a photo was snapped. Grandma held Dawn and Grandpa held me. I held Grandpa's chin. Walking through the back of the flour-caked kitchen, I saw scrumptious pastries and colorful toys stuck in the cupcakes with my hungry kids eyes. We lived in a two-story apartment building next door to a large farmer's field.  That field was my