Skip to main content

Contrition

Sometimes I'm ungrateful and sick-to-death of being a cog-in-the-wheel hospice resident.

Most days I'm grateful to God, the caregivers, and the system that I have good care since becoming paralyzed by ALS. Caregivers tend to my every single activity of daily living; dressing, eating, toileting, rolling over, wiping my nose, you-name-it. If my door is open, volunteers try to entertain me; some activities I participate in, others I avoid.

As in any life, each day brings myriad variations of daily minutae. In the course of receiving medications through my P.E.G. tube, I get interrupted from activities, my private space gets invaded (my "PEG" is positioned right between my breasts). Invariably, I get medications dripped, splashed, and dumped on me. Worse, I can't speak intelligibly which leaves me wet and sticky often Since nurses don't seem to notice.

Breif changes, many times a day, are usually fraught with annoyances.  During the day there is normally enough people around to have caregivers who know my routine. But, not always. The more paralyzed I get, the more steps are added, thus, the more to go awry. Also, caregivers await audible cues from me which I can only do through forcing air out by compressing my gut. Now I sound downright bitchy. Whether I mean to or not. Since verbalizing is such an energy sapper, I must admit, oft times I am.

Unfortunately, these are the facts. I used to be far more congenial. Apparently, those were the halcyon days. Try as I might to employ patience, tolerance, and kindness, in the face repeated mistakes, fatigue, and poor communication, I often fail. I am truly sorry for this. I pray you and God will forgive me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kate

I think about my friend, Kate Struby, who died from this horrible disease in 2013. She lived here at Bailey Boushay House before I did. I reached out to Kate online through FaceBook because I loved her photograph with her head thrown back in laughter. I also loved her posts. I guess I just loved her spirit. I got to finally meet her one month before she died. I happened to be at the University of Washington Medical Center for my quarterly appointment when I saw her FaceBook post. She was awake and in the medical ICU. She was a mere few floors down. I would not be stopped. Relativeor no, I would meet my FaceBook friend. Thank God I did. I rolled into the room to find a beautiful, ethere.al woman flanked by two friends. Although it was an impromtu visit, she said she knew me immediately.I was in awe of her with her fiery spirit despite the ravages of our shared disease. She, unable to lift even a finger, lifted my spirit.

Disrespected, Again...

It's 10 pm, I've accomplished nothing to speak of. I watched one movi, "The One I Love", a Twilight Zone-esque story on a couple trying to reconcile. And, one television show, "Running Wild with Bear Grylles" guest starring Channing Tatum. OMG!!! And, I ate some dinner. Tonight was chicken gumbo, chili, cornbread, oatmeal cookies and ice cream. Not much of a day. Nope. I was looking forward to my husband's visit but when he called at 5 pm, he mentioned that he was in Ritzville (by Spokane) working on his trailer with Darryl (the other jerk that took my cruise without me).  I do not begrudge my husband having a life away from me. However, as I keep telling him, I don't appreciate being purposefully left out of loop and disrespected by being left waiting for his disrespectful ass. Any questions?

Gratitude For Reading

People are reading my blog! I cannot express my gratitude enough. My heart is soaring! Before I got ALS, it was a minor interest amongst many varied interests. Today, I am unable to physically participate in many of my prior interests, like motorcycling, photography, knitting and other handicrafts, hiking, traveling, painting, drawing, going to the gym, working in the garden, doing housework, canning, and cooking gourmet or ethnic foods. Therefore, I am more focused on the ones that are most accessible to me, such as reading via audiobook or e-book, television, movies, meditation, music appreciation, and writing. Like the blind man who's sense of hearing and smell is heightened, I'd like to think my crippled body has made me more attuned to things more on the spiritual and sensual level. Initially, when some members of my family read my blog, they chose to focus on what they viewed as negative. The feedback I got was harsh and personally critical. .I was told that I was ...