Skip to main content

What To Do

The majority of my fellow residents at the nursing home are in their late 60's on up to their late 90's. The median age is 76, I think. Some of the residents have Alzheimer's or dementia of some type and many residents are not capable of meaningful communication. Some people are transient, meaning they are here to rehab and move on. A few are sent here to die quickly. That's sad seeing anxious, crying, greif-stricken faces. Some residents are simply non-social for whatever reason. Consequently, meaningful conversation only occurs between myself and caregivers, friends, and family (in that order), Rather than fellow residents.

Oh, I attempt conversation all of the time. Mostly, it's an exercise in futility but I try anyway. The few that are conversant can no longer understand me since my mouth and face muscles weaken. It's a tough reality. Luckily, I can still smile and say, "hello", "hi", "bye", and "no" when I need and want to.

I'm one of three of the youngest people in residence at this time and since January. I am the only resident with ALS. There is one man with advanced MS and another with MS-like symptoms but he cannot articulate what he actually has. This facility has had two other residents who had ALS and both of them had long since passed away. I learned that the woman passed at a church social after choking on food. God, I hope she went directly to Heaven.

It is a challenge for me as a youngish person living in a nursing home. I'm not into playing bingo and I'm physically unable to play; karaoke is out; exercise class is a bust; Uno and other card games require manual dexterity. My remaining options are church and the AA meeting I started with a little help from my friends. I've been known to attend both. (chuckle, chuckle) And manicures and scented hand washing, which I am all about. Movie day is an activity I participate in IF it's not an old, crusty rerun. Other than that, I try to get a look at FaceBook and work this blog.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Creep

  Have you ever used the internet to look up an old flame? How about an old arch-enemy? Did you have the intention to reconnect? Me neither.

I Remember...

I remember catching fireflies,  putting them in a jar, as a girl of five. I picked pears off a tree that overhung an alleyway on my route home from school, then enjoyed the forbidden fruit. .I had a golden cat who chased a gray mouse through our living room sending my mother, 3-year old sister, and me screaming atop the sofa and chairs. We lived in a farmhouse and I watched Romper Room. A daddy longlegs skittered across my dirty kid legs as I teeter-tottered on a broken kitchen chair back. I played grocery store and laid out a bedroll for group nap time in preschool. We lived in an apartment attached to a bakery. My maternal grandparents visited and a photo was snapped. Grandma held Dawn and Grandpa held me. I held Grandpa's chin. Walking through the back of the flour-caked kitchen, I saw scrumptious pastries and colorful toys stuck in the cupcakes with my hungry kids eyes. We lived in a two-story apartment building next door to a large farmer's field.  That field was my